Click on image to enlarge
All Saints Episcopal Church

286 Seventh Avenue at 7th Street
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11215
http://www.allsaintsparkslope.com/


Organ Specifications:
Present building (since 1893)
II/22 Delaware Organ Company
II/25 Hillgreen, Lane & Company, Op. 773 (1924)
II/25 Carl Barckhoff
• II/14 George Jardine & Son (c.1891)
First building (1870-1893)
• unknown


All Saints Episcopal Church, located at the corner of 7th Avenue and 7th Street in Park Slope, Brooklyn was founded in 1867. On August 4, 1867, 20 families celebrated the Holy Communion in the Military Hall, on Fifth Avenue at the corner of 9th Street, under the leadership of Arthur Sinclair, the first Warden. On September 16, 1867, members voted to incorporate as All Saints Episcopal Church, and elected a warden and vestry. On Christmas Day 1867, the Rev. William D’Orville Doty was appointed the first Rector of All Saints. A search committee was then elected to find a suitable spot for our church. After visits to several sites, a generous offer was given by Mr. Isaac Henderson, Esq., in April 1869, and the present property was purchased. In June of that year, construction began on the red brick chapel on 7th Street (now occupied by a Seventh-day Adventist congregation); the cornerstone of this chapel was the first to be laid in the new diocese of Long Island and the first by Primal Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Abram Newkirk Little John D.D. All Saints Chapel was opened on Easter Day, April 17, 1870.

There were hardships in the early years but despite all that the church pressed on with the construction of the current edifice on 7th Avenue. In 1881, the West Aisle was built and, in the following year a corresponding East Aisle. In 1886, a Baptistery, Choir Room and Chancel stalls were erected and the front was extended toward 7th Avenue with three entrance doors and steps of brownstone. At a simple ceremony on April 12, 1892, Master Melville Boyd, Jr, the Rector’s son, turned the first spade of earth and at 4 pm on Wednesday, June 22, 1892, the cornerstone was laid by the Diocesan Bishop. The current church building is a Romanesque-Moorish basilica of yellow brick and terra cotta with two distinctive towers, a bright barrel-vaulted interior with ornate terra cotta detailing, and many stained glass windows, including one by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The stained glass window in the current side chapel comes from the older building.

The mortgage was burned on November 2, 1924 and the building was reconsecrated by the Rt. Rev. Frederick Burgess, D.D. As the years went by the church, rectory, undercroft and finally the parish hall and gymnasium were constructed. A fire in 1976 required the re-creation of some of the interior and east front, and replacement of much of the stained glass. The current organ was also installed in the 1970s.
             
Delaware Organ Company, Inc.
Tonawanda, N.Y. (1970s)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 26 registers, 16 stops, 22 ranks


The present organ was built in the 1970s by the Delaware Organ Company and is installed behind an earlier organ case.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Principal
61
    Mixtur IV ranks
244
8
  Gedackt Flöte
61
    Sesquialtera II ranks (TC)
98
4
  Octave
61
8
  Trompete
61
4
  Flach Flöte
61
    Chimes (Mayland)  
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Lieblich Gedackt
85
2
  Spill Flöte (fr. 8' Lieblich)
8
  Viole
61
1
  Octave (fr. 4' Principal)
8
  Unda Maris (TC)
49
    Scharf-Mixtur III ranks
183
4
  Principal
85
8
  Krummhorn
61
4
  Spill Flöte (fr. 8' Lieblich)
    Tremolo  
2
  Octave (fr. 4' Principal)
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Subbass (resultant)
4
  Nachthorn
32
16
  Subbass
44
2
  Octave (fr. Principal)
8
  Principal *
44
16
  Posaune (ext. GT)
12
8
  Bass Flute (fr. Subbass)
8
  Trompete
GT
4
  Octave (fr. Principal)
       
       
* notes 1-12 common with Great 8' Principal
Couplers
    Great to Pedal    
    Swell to Pedal    
    Swell to Great    
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
  General Cancel (thumb)
               
Reversibles
    Swell to Pedal (thumb & toe)      
    Great to Pedal (thumb & toe)      
    Tutti (thumb & toe)      
               
Accessories
    Tutti indicator light   Combination lock
    Current indicator light   Chimes volume
               
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Swell Pedal    
    [No Crescendo Pedal]    
             
Hillgreen, Lane & Company
Alliance, Ohio – Opus 773 (1924)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 23 stops, 25 ranks


On October 28, 1922, Gustav F. Döhring, representative for Hillgreen, Lane & Co., furnished an estimate to rebuild, modernize and electrify the existing Carl Barckhoff organ. Hillgreen, Lane retained the old windchests, but added separate treble chests for each manual to provide an additional 15 pipes per stop. Three stops were added, and the wind pressure was raised to 4 inches. The Great division was enclosed, and all swell shutters were made to open into the auditorium. A new, detached oak console was also provided. Total cost of the work was to be $4,000, but the Vestry did not approve the work until June 18, 1924.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Diapason
73
4
  Flute
73
8
  Gemshorn
73
4
  Octave
73
8
  Viola di Gamba *
73
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Dulciana
73
8
  Tuba *
73
8
  Double Flute
73
       

 

     

 

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
4
  Harmonic Flute
73
8
  Diapason
73
2
  Flageolet
61
8
  Stopped Flute
73
    Cornet, 3 ranks
174
8
  Viol d'Orchestre *
73
8
  Trumpet
73
8
  Salicional
73
8
  Vox Humana
73
8
  Aeoline
73
       
               
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Diapason
30
8
  Violoncello
30
16
  Bourdon
30
       
       
* new ranks added by Hillgreen, Lane & Co.
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8'   Great to Swell 8'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Great to Great 16', 4', Unison Rel.
    Pedal to Pedal 8'   Swell to Swell 16', 4', Unison Rel.
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'    
               
Adjustable Combinations
    6 pistons placed between manuals affecting all stops and couplers
               
Accessories
    Tremolo          
               
Pedal Movements
    Great Expression Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Swell Expression Pedal   Sforzando
    Crescendo Pedal    
             
Carl Barckhoff
Salem, Ohio
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 23 stops, 25 ranks


The installation date of this organ is unknown. The organ was voiced on 3½" wind pressure.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Diapason
58
4
  Flute
58
8
  Gemshorn
58
4
  Octave
58
8
  Gamba
58
2
  Fifteenth
58
8
  Dulciana
58
8
  Trumpet
58
8
  Doppel Flute
58
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
58
4
  Harmonic Flute
58
8
  Diapason
58
2
  Flageolet
58
8
  Stopped Flute
58
    Cornet, 3 ranks
174
8
  Salicional
58
8
  Oboe
58
8
  Vox Celeste
58
8
  Vox Humana
58
8
  Aeoline
58
       
               
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Diapason
27
8
  Violoncello
27
16
  Bourdon
27
       
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal    
    Swell to Pedal    
    Swell to Great    
             
George Jardine & Son
New York City (c.1891)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 14 stops


Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     All Saints Episcopal Church web site: http://www.allsaintsparkslope.com/
     Kloda, Barry. Specifications of Delaware Organ (1970s).
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of Hillgreen, Lane & Co. Organ, Op. 733 (1924).

Illustration:
     Bridge and Tunnel Club web site: www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com