Episcopal Church of the Ascension - Brooklyn, NY
 
Click on image to enlarge
Church of the Ascension
(Episcopal)

127 Kent Street
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11222
http://www.ascensionbrooklyn.org/


Organ Specifications:
Present building (since 1866)
II/5 Wicks Organ Company, Op. 2929 (1948)
• unknown (1866)
First building (1853-1866)
• I/ Ferris & Stuart (1859)


The story of the Church of the Ascension began in 1846 when a group of Episcopalians starting holding worship services in Greenpoint. In October 1852, the Rev. Edward Babcock accepted a call to the parish and recommended a church be built. Three lots were purchased from Captain Bliss on the then-unopened street known as K Street (now Kent Street) on what is now the site of the rectory. On July 5, 1853, the cornerstone of the church was laid and the first service in the small wood-frame building was held on Sunday, October 23, 1853. After the debt was retired, the building was consecrated by Provincial Bishop Horatio Potter on May 19, 1857.

By the 1860s, the parish had grown tremendously and needed more space. Additional land was donated by Mr. J.W. Valentine and Thomas Fitch Rowland, the builder of the Civil War submarine, USS Monitor. Construction began on the present building on May 17, 1864, and the cornerstone was laid on March 23, 1865 by Bishop Potter. Designed by Henry Dudley in an Early English Gothic style, the completed church was used for the first time in September 1866. The original church was then known as the Chapel and was used for Sunday school until the present rectory was moved onto the site. On Ascension Day 1885, the new church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Abram Newkirk Littlejohn, the first Bishop of Long Island, and ground was broken for the parish hall.

The parish hall opened in May 1889, and in the early 1900s was used to house a theater group. On October 1, 1985, a two-alarm fired destroyed the parish hall, but it was quickly rebuilt and opened on October 18, 1986.

The Church of the Ascension is the oldest church in Greenpoint.
               
Wicks Organ Company
Highland, Ill. – Opus 2929 (1948)
Direct-Electric key action
2 manuals, 21 stops, 5 ranks


In 1948, the Wicks Organ Company installed an organ that had five unified ranks. The organ is enclosed in one expression box.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Open Diapason
A
4
  Octave
A
8
  Gedeckt
B
4
  Flute
B
8
  Viola
C
    Chimes  
8
  Dulciana
D
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Lieblich Bourdon
B
4
  Dulciana
D
8
  Open Diapason
A
2 2/3
  Dulciana Twelfth
D
8
  Stopped Flute
B
2
  Dulciana Fifteenth
D
8
  Viola
C
8
  Cornopean
E
8
  Dulciana
D
    Tremolo  
4
  Flute d'Amour
B
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
B
8
  Cello
C
8
  Open Diapason
A
4
  Flute
B
8
  Flauto Dolce
B
       
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Great 16', 4', Unison Silent
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell 16', 4', Unison Silent
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'    
               
Adjustable Combinations
    Pistons No. 1-2-3-0 affecting Great stops
    Pistons No. 1-2-3-0 affecting Swell stops
    Pistons No. 1-2-3-0 affecting Pedal stops
    General Cancel          
               
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Swell Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Crescendo Pedal   Sforzando
        Setter
         
Stop Analysis
Rank
     
Pipes
A
16
  Bourdon
85
B
8
  Open Diapason
73
C
8
  Viola
61
D
8
  Dulciana
85
E
8
  Cornopean
    61
     
Total
365
             
Ferris & Stuart
New York City (1859)
Mechanical action
1 manual


The first known organ for Church of the Ascension was built in 1859 by Ferris & Stuart of New York City. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     Church of the Ascension web site: http://www.ascensionbrooklyn.org/
     Kloda, Barry. Specifications of Wicks Organ, Op. 2929 (1948).

Illustration:
     Google Street View. Exterior.