1947 photo of original 1872 building
Lenox Road Baptist Church

1356 Lenox Road at Nostrand Avenue
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11226
http://www.lrbc.net


Organ Specifications:
1356 Lenox Road at Nostrand Avenue (since 1888)
Present building (since c.2009)
• III/ Allen Organ Company electronic
First building (1888-burned 1975)
II/10 Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, Op. 879 (1932)
• W. W. Kimball
Ocean Avenue near Church Avenue (c.1871-1888)
• unknown


The Lenox Road Baptist Church began as a Sunday School that was established in October of 1871. On March 12, 1872, a group of eighteen Baptists met in Schoonmaker's Hall and formally organized as "The First Baptist Church of Flatbush." On April 12, 1872, the society was officially recognized by the Long Island Baptist Association. The first building was erected on Ocean Avenue, just south of Church Avenue, on a plot leased from The Dutch Reformed Church of Flatbush. The small frame building was known as "The Tabernacle." In 1888 the congregation moved to a new edifice on the corner of Lenox Road and Nostrand Avenue, after which the society was known as Lenox Road Baptist Church.

Originally an all-white congregation, the church and community went through several demographic and socio-economic changes beginning in the 1960s. By the 1970s, the church had been transformed into a culturally mixed and diverse congregation comprised of immigrants from the southern states as well as from the Caribbean, Panama, British Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, Guyana, and other parts of the world.

On December 23, 1975, the 87-year-old landmark building was totally destroyed by fire. Services were held at the Grand Theatre until the new church could be built. The new building was rededicated in 2009.
               
Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, Inc.
Boston, Mass. – Opus 879 (1932)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 12 stops, 10 ranks, 742 pipes


In January 1932, a $5,000 contract was awarded to the Aeolian Company for a two-manual organ. The Aeolian Company assigned Op. 1805 to this organ. Following the merger of the Aeolian and Skinner organ companies later that year, the organ was installed as Aeolian-Skinner's Op. 879 in 1932. The church and organ were destroyed by fire in 1975.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed with Swell
8
  Diapason
73
8
  Dulciana
73
8
  Clarabella
73
    Tremolo  
8
  Gross Flute [ext. PED]
29
       

     

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Diapason
73
4
  Flute
73
8
  Gedeckt
73
8
  Cornopean
73
8
  Viole
73
    Tremolo  
8
  Viole Celeste
73
       

     

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Bourdon
32
8
  Flute [ext.]
12
               
W. W. Kimball Co.
Chicago, Ill.


The files of Louis F. Mohr & Company, an organ service company, show that they serviced an organ in this church built by W.W. Kimball. Specifications of this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     Aeolian-Skinner Archives web site: http://aeolianskinner.organsociety.org/. Stoplist of Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co. organ, Op. 879 (1932).
     Flatbush of To-Day (Vol. II, No. 1, April 1908).
     Lenox Road Baptist Church web site: http://www.lrbc.net/
     Smith, Rollin. The Aeolian Pipe Organ and its Music. Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1998.
     Trupiano, Larry. Organ list from the files of Louis F. Mohr & Company.

Illustration:
     Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection. 1947 photo of original church.