Baptist Church of the Redeemer - Brooklyn, NY
  Click on images to enlarge
Baptist Church of the Redeemer

1921 Cortelyou Road at Ocean Avenue
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11226


Organ Specifications:
Second building (since c.1925)
II/21 Estey Organ Company, Op. 2413 (1925)
First building (1904-c.1925)
• II/ Estey Organ Company, Op. 478 (1907)



Baptist Church of the Redeemer - Brooklyn, NY (1908 postcard)  
1908 postcard of original building  
   
   
The Baptist Church of the Redeemer can trace its roots to "Cottage Prayer Meetings" held in the homes of Baptists living in Flatbush. Under the leadership of the Rev. S. Giffard Nelson, L.H.D., the group was put in touch with the Brooklyn Baptist Church Extension Society, and a location for a church was secured. On July 6, 1901, the society was organized with forty-two members. Dr. Nelson served as the part-time pastor until resigning in 1903 so that a full-time pastor could be called. In 1904 the society was declared independent of the Mission Board. Soon thereafter, a chapel was erected, the original property was improved, and a well-equipped gymnasium known as the Nelson Memorial (Dr. Nelson having passed away) was installed.

On May 24, 1925, the cornerstone was laid for a two-story Bible School building. At an undermined time, perhaps contemporary with the installation of an Estey organ in 1925, the present Romanesque-style brick building was constructed.
           
Estey Organ Company
Brattleboro, Vt. – Opus 2413 (1925)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 24 stops, 21 ranks


The Estey Organ Shop Order for their Op. 2413 shows that Estey would provide a detached two-manual console with celluloid keys, oak woodwork for the 308 sq. foot case, and bronzed front pipes, 17 of which were speaking. The organ was voiced on 5" wind pressure. Notes indicate that the church seats 400, and the gallery seats 100.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Open Diapason
61
8
  Dulciana
61
8
  2nd Open Diapason
61
8
  Melodia
61
8
  Viol d'Gamba
61
8
  Gross Flute
61
8
  Gemshorn
61
4
  Flute Harmonic
61
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
8
  Saxophone (wood)
73
8
  Open Diapason
73
4
  Flauto Traverso
73
8
  Salicional
73
8
  Cornopean
73
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
61
8
  Oboe
73
8
  Aeoline
73
8
  Vox Humana
73
8
  Stopped Diapason
73
    Tremolo  
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Open Diapason
44
8
  Octave Flute [Op. Diap.]
16
  Bourdon
44
8
  Flute Dolce [Bourdon]
16
  Lieblich Gedeckt *
20
   
* 12 notes from SW Bourdon
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8   Swell to Great 16, 8, 4
    Swell to Pedal 8   Great to Great 4, Unison Sep.
    Pedal to Pedal 4'   Swell to Swell 16, 4, Unison Sep.
               
Combination Pistons
    Pistons No. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9     Universals affecting all stops and couplers
               
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Swell Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal   Sforzando Reversible
         
Indicators
    Sforzando    
    Crescendo    
    Wind    
           
Estey Organ Company
Brattleboro, Vt. – Opus 478 (1907)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals


The first known organ for the Baptist Church of the Redeemer was built in 1907 by the Estey Organ Company. Specifications of this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     Carnahan, John. Factory Shop Order for Estey Organ, Op. 2413 (1925).
     The Estey Pipe Organ web site: www.esteyorgan.com
     Flatbush of To-Day (Vol. II, No. 1, April 1908).
     "To Lay Cornerstone," The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (May 23, 1925).