Tabernacle Baptist Church, Clinton & Third Place (c.1900)  - Brooklyn, N.Y. (Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection)
  Click on image to enlarge
Tabernacle Baptist Church

Corner Clinton Street & Third Place
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11231

Organ Specifications:
Clinton Street and Third Place (1875-1927)
Corner Hicks and Rapelyea Streets (1860-1875)
II/13 E. & G.G. Hook, Op. 357 (1865)

The society that became Tabernacle Baptist Church began on February 8, 1852, as a mission Sunday school organized by a few members of the Strong Place Baptist Church. The Sunday school met in a small hall over a stable in Hamilton Avenue, midway between Union and President Streets. In the next few years the school rapidly increased in numbers, and in May 1857, it was moved to a hall on Columbia Street, near Summit, where in two years, its numbers were doubled, requiring even larger accomodations. Lots were purchased on the corner of Hicks and Rapelyea Streets, on which a 50 by 100 foot building was erected, The new building had suitable infant, library and conference rooms, and could hold one thousand students. It was first occupied on the sabbath school anniversary, May 1860, and dedicated on June 10th of the same year. On June 26, 1862, the Strong Place Baptist Church granted letters of dismissal to fifty-five brethren and sisters, and these members were organized into a separate church under the name of the Tabernacle Baptist Church, Brooklyn. The Rev. T. Edwin Brown, a graduate of Washington College, D. C., was called to be the first pastor and, on the November 13, 1862, was publicly ordained, at which time, the congregation was formally recognized by its sister churches.

Tabernacle Baptist continued to increase and prosper, and in 1862 lots were purchased on the southwest corner of Second Place (Avenue) and Clinton Street (extending through to Third Place), on which a new house of worship was erected in 1875.

Beginning in 1891, a long series of troubles developed between the pastor, Rev. D. C. Potter, and the trustees, led by John D. Rockefeller, who was also the mortagee of the property. The church was sold under foreclosure proceedings in December 1896. Litigation was discontinued in November 1899.

The congregation disbanded or merged in the 1920s. In July 1927, the property was sold to the Bond of Trinity Church of the Syrian Orthodox Diocese of the Antrochian Church.

E. & G. G. Hook
Boston, Mass. – Opus 357 (1865)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 13 registers, 12 stops, 13 ranks

The first organ in Tabernacle Baptist Church was built in 1865 by E. & G. G. Hook of Boston. It was formally dedicated on Thursday, June 22, 1865, with a grand concert for the benefit of the organ fund. The programme was comprised of selections from Rossini, Mendelssohn, Mozart and Haydn, Keller's song of the "Exile," and Gottschalk's "Cuban Dance." Volunteering their services were Mrs. Mozart, Mr. F. F. Muller, Mr. G. H. Ryder, Mrs. T. J. Cook, Mr. J. M. Lorety, Mr. T. J. Cook, and a chorus of thirty ladies and gentlemen. H. E. Mathews, director; F. F. Muller, conductor. Tickets were $1.
Great Organ (Manual I) – 56 notes
  Open Diapason
  Stopped Diapason
  Melodia (1-12 fr. St. Diap.)
    Mixture, 2 ranks
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 56 notes, enclosed
  Stopped Diapason treble
  Flauto Traverso
  Stopped Diapason bass
  Oboe (TC)
  Salicional (TC)
  Dulciana (TC)
Pedal Organ – 25 notes
    Swell to Great      
    Swell to Pedal      
    Great to Pedals      
     "Concert at the Tabernacle Baptist Church, Brooklyn," The New York Times (June 21, 1865).
     "Brooklyn Church in Deal," The New York Times (July 24, 1927).
     "Forty Years Old," Brooklyn Eagle (July 2, 1902).
     Long Island Historical Society (now Brooklyn Historical Society). Specification of E. & G.G. Hook organ, Op. 357. Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     "Organ Dedication," Brooklyn Eagle (June 15, 1865).
     "Organ Dedication," Brooklyn Eagle (June 23, 1865).
     "Potter Litigation Ended," Brooklyn Eagle (Nov. 19, 1899).
     "Sold Under Foreclosure," Brooklyn Eagle (Dec. 18, 1896).
     Stiles, Henry Reed. History of the City of Brooklyn, New York. Brooklyn: 1867-70.  

    Brooklyn Eagle Post Card Series (190-). Exterior.  Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection. low-res image allowed.