Episcopal Church of the Mediator - Bronx, NY (photo: Archives of Diocese of New York)
  Click on images to enlarge
Church of the Mediator
(Episcopal)

260 West 231st Street at Kingsbridge Avenue
Bronx, N.Y. 10463

Organ Specifications:
Present building (since 1913)
III/17 Skinner Organ Company, Op. 439 (1923)
First building (1855-1913)
• unknown


1857 building of the Episcopal Church of the Mediator - Bronx, NY (photo: Archives of Diocese of New York)  
On August 15, 1855, a Protestant Episcopal society was organized in King's Bridge, and the name adopted was "The Church of the Mediator, Yonkers." In 1857, the society erected its first church, a frame structure costing five thousand dollars, on land presented by James R. Whiting, and a rectory was built soon afterward on adjoining land. Bishop Horatio Potter consecrated the church on November 6, 1864.

The present church, a neo-Gothic stone building surrounded by a tree-filled lawn, was designed in 1913 by Henry Vaughan (1845-1917), a prolific architect of churches and church-related building. Vaughan's credits include the original portion of Washington's National Cathedral, chapels at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York, the chapels at the Groton School (Groton, Mass.) and St. Paul's School (Concord, N.H.), and Serlo Organ Hall (now Methuen Music Hall, Methuen, Mass.). Bishop William T. Manning consecrated the building on January 23, 1927, as the church celebrated the clearing of its debt

The church is caretaker for another local landmark: one of the oldest, largest trees in the Bronx, known as the Corlear Sycamore, or Sister Tree, at Corlear Avenue and West 231st Street. The tree is so enormous that the sidewalk splits to accommodate it.
   
  Skinner Organ, Op. 439 (1923) in Episcopal Church of the Mediator - Bronx, NY (photo: Tali Mahanor)
Skinner Organ Company
Boston, Mass. – Opus 439 (1923)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 26 stops, 17 ranks


The organ in Church of the Mediator was built in 1923 by the Skinner Organ Company of Boston. Skinner installed the organ in a chamber on one side of the chancel that is fronted by an oak case. The detached three-manual drawknob console has pneumatic combination action.

Skinner Organ, Op. 439 (1923) in Episcopal Church of the Mediator - Bronx, NY (photo: Tali Mahanor)  
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
 
Bourdon * [ext. PED]
preparation
8
  Gedeckt
SW
8
  Diapason
61
8
  Flauto Dolce
SW
8
  Clarabella Flute
61
4
  Flute
SW
8
 
Gamba *
preparation
8
  Cornopean
SW
4
 
Octave *
preparation
8
 
French Horn [in CH box]
preparation
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
4
  Flute
73
8
  Diapason
73
2
  Flautino
61
8
  Gedeckt
73
 
Solo Mixture III ranks *
preparation
8
  Salicional
73
8
  Cornopean
73
8
  Voix Celeste
73
8
  Flugel Horn
73
8
  Flauto Dolce
73
8
  Vox Humana
73
8
 
Flute Celeste [TC] *
preparation
    Tremolo  
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
 
Diapason *
preparation
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  Concert Flute
73
8
 
English Horn *
preparation
4
  Flute
73
  Tremolo  
2 2/3
 
Nazard *
preparation
     
               
Echo Organ – 61 notes, enclosed [grouped with Great knobs; prepared on console only]
8
 
Chimney Flute *
preparation
   
Cathedral Chimes *
preparation
8
 
Vox Humana *
preparation
     
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
Resultant
8
 
Octave [ext.] *
preparation
16
Diapason *
preparation
8
  Gedeckt [ext.]
12
16
  Bourdon
32
8
  Still Gedeckt
SW
16
  Echo Bourdon
SW
   
           
* knobs are blank
Couplers
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Choir 8'
    Great to Pedal 8'   Great to Great 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8'   Swell to Swell 16', 4'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'   Choir to Choir 16', 4'
    Choir to Great 16', 8'    
               
Adjustable Combinations (not affecting the couplers)
   
Great Pistons No. 1-2-3-4 (plus Ped. to Man. On or Off)
Swell Pistons No. 1-2-3-4 (plus Ped. to Man. On or Off)
Choir Pistons No. 1-2-3-4 (plus Ped. to Man. On or Off)
Pedal Pistons No. 1-2-3-4 (toe)
  General Cancel
       
Mechanicals
    Swell Expression Pedal   Great to Pedal reversible
    Choir Expression Pedal   Sforzando reversible (with indicator)
    Crescendo Pedal (with indicator)    
   
Sources:
      Aeolian-Skinner Archives web site: http://aeolian-skinner.110mb.com/
     "Church of The Mediator," a history of the first 100 years of the church. New York: Church of the Mediator, 1955. Courtesy Diocese of New York Archives.
     Cohen, Joyce. "If You're Thinking of Living In: Kingsbridge, the Bronx; A Place Convenient to Almost Everything," The New York Times, September 6, 1998.
     Glück, Sebastian. Notes on specifications of Skinner Organ, Op. 439 (1923).
     Kinzey, Allen. Specifications of Skinner Organ, Op. 439 (1923). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Kinzey, Allen, and Sand Lawn. E.M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List (New Revised Edition). Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1997.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Wash.
     Scharf, J. Thomas. History of Westchester County, New York, including Morrisania, Kings Bridge and West Farms which have been annexed to New York City. Philadelphia: L.E. Preston & Co., 1886.

Photos:
     Diocese of New York Archives. Images of 1857 church, present church. Courtesy Wayne Kempton.
     Mahanor, Tali. Case and console of Skinner Organ, Op. 439 (1923).