Roman Catholic Orphans' Asylum - Bronx, NY
  Click on images to enlarge
Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum

301 West Kingsbridge Road at Sedgwick Avenue
The Bronx, N.Y. 10468

Organ Specifications:
Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum
(The Bronx)
301 West Kingsbridge Road at Sedgwick Avenue (1902-1920)
II/13 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 312 (1893) – Boys' Chapel
• unknown (c.1902) – Girls' Chapel
St. Patrick's Boys Asylum (Manhattan)
Fifth Avenue at 51st and 52nd Streets (1851-1902)
• unknown (c.1851) – Boys' Chapel
Prince and Mott Streets (1826-1851)
• unknown
St. Patrick's Girls Asylum (Manhattan)
461 Madison Avenue at 51st Street (1886-1902)
II/13 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 312 (1893)
Prince and Mott Streets (1826-1886)
• unknown

The Roman Catholic Benevolent Society, established in 1817, was the oldest charitable institution in the Archdiocese of New York. At that time, parentless Catholic children were lost to the faith if they were taken in by Protestant orphan societies. From the beginning, the society was administered by the Sisters of Charity. The first building, located at Prince and Mulberry Streets, opened with 30 inmates, but within a few years was overcrowded. In 1826, a new building was erected on Prince and Mott Streets, but by the 1840s, it, too, was badly overcrowded as was St. Joseph's Half-Orphan Asylum on West 11th Street. In 1845, Archbishop John Hughes appealed to the city for land on which to build a larger facility, and was offered the entire block between Fifth and Madison Avenues from 51st to 52nd Streets. The deed, signed on August 1, 1846, directed that the rent would be one dollar per year as long as the property was used to house orphans. At that time, Fifth Avenue was not paved and the area was relatively uninhabited. A few years later, in 1852, Archbishop Hughes would purchase the block directly to the south for a new cathedal that was begun in 1858 but not consecrated until 1879.

Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum on Fifth Avenue at 51st Street (1846-1902) - New York City  
Boys Asylum – Fifth Avenue (1851-1902)  
   
Roman Catholic Girls Orphan Asylum on Madison Avenue at 51st Street (1886-1902) - New York City  
Girls Asylum – Madison Avenue (1886-1902)  
In 1851, the boys were moved into the new facility on Fifth Avenue. The first building had accommodations for five hundred boys, and a trade school wing, built in 1893, provided accommodations for two hundred more. The girls' wing, completed in 1870, held eight hundred. There was every facility for religious, moral and social training.

A separate building for girls was built on Madison Avenue. Designed by Renwick & Sands, the five-story building was completed in 1886. At this time, the last of the girls were moved from Prince Street and the old orphanage there was converted into a parish school.

By the 1890s, the midtown area had been developed and land values had increased enormously. Private institutions were enticed to sell their lucrative property and use the proceeds to relocate farther north. Nearby St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Hospital, located since 1846 at Fifth Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets, sold its property and built a new facility on Morningside Heights in 1896. Columbia College, which built a new campus at Madison Avenue and 49th Street in 1857, moved to its present Morningside Heights site in 1897. About that time, a committee was formed to select a new site for the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum.

In November 1898, the committee met at the Archbishop's residence and decided to acquire from the Bailey estate a tract of about 28 acres, most of which was between Sedgwick Avenue and the Harlem River in the Fordham Heights section of The Bronx. Located on the highest point in New York City, the site served as a strategic vantage point during the Revolutionary War. In 1847, William H. Bailey, who was partners with P.T. Barnum of the Barnum and Bailey Circus fame, bought 26 acres of land as a country home for his bride. In 1899, the land was purchased for $290,000, and erection of the buildings began. The next year, in 1900, Archbishop Corrigan was given permission by the city and state to sell most of the asylum's midtown property to developers for $2,100,000, although he retained the Boland Trade School that fronted Madison Avenue for his proposed minor seminary, Cathedral College. The proceeds from the sale paid for the new orphanage in the Bronx and provided a $1 million endowment for the orphans

The new Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum was built atop the summit of the high ridge immediately east of the Harlem River, about 140 to 190 feet above tidewater. There were two buildings—one for boys, the other for girls—besides the old Bailey mansion. Each building was five stories high with a basement, measured 385 long by 50 feet deep, and had two wings 50 feet by 125, and a chapel. The new buildings provided accomodations for 1,600 inmates and were occupied in April, 1902, although they and the grounds were not completed until the next year.

With the passage of the Widows' Compensation law in 1918, the number of orphans at the asylum was reduced to about 700, which was less than half of the capacity. In 1921, the Archdiocese sold the property to the Treasury Department, who planned to convert the facilities into a a hospital for ex-service patients suffering from mental and nervous disorders, and arranged for the transfer of remaining orphans to other facilities. The purchase was turned over to the newly formed U.S. Veterans' Bureau by Executive Order on April 20, 1922. By adding several buildings throughout the years, the Bureau made the Bronx hospital the second largest V.A. facility in the nation, with a total of 1,663 beds, and the first veterans hospital in New York City.
               
Organ built for Girls Chapel in Manhattan, then moved to Boys Chapel in The Bronx:

J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.
New York City – Opus 312 (1893)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 11 stops, 13 ranks


This organ was built in 1893 for St. Patrick's Female Orphan Asylum in midtown Manhattan. The handwritten contract shows that the organ would have a "case to be of appropriate and approved design made of oak cabinet finish. The large speaking pipes displayed in front to be richly ornamented in gold and colors." Around 1902, the organ was moved to the Boys Chapel of the new Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum in The Bronx. In 1980, the organ was extant.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
16
  Bourdon [TC]
46
4
  Principal
58
8
  Gamba
58
2
  Fifteenth
58
8
  Melodia
58
    Mixture III ranks
174
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Stopped Diapason
58
4
  Flute [Rohr, metal bass]
58
8
  Salicional [1-12 stopped]
58
8
  Oboe
58
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 27 notes

16
  Bourdon
27
       
               
Sources:
     "Catholic Orphan Asylum. A New Extensive Site Is Selected on Fordham Heights," The New York Times (Nov. 22, 1898).
     Fifth Avenue: Glances at the Vicissitudes and Romance of a World-Renowned Thoroughfare, Together With Many Rare Illustrations That Bring Back an Interesting Past. New York: The Fifth Avenue Bank of New York, 1915.
    &ncsp;Jenkins, Stephen. The Story of the Bronx from the Purchase Made by the Dutch from the Indians in 1639 to the Present Day. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1912
     The Manhattan Guide – Greater New York Red Book. New York: The Manhattan Guide Company, 1901.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     "St. Patrick's Day Parade in NY Dedicated to Sisters of Charity," Vincentian Family News (Feb. 25, 2009).
     Shelley, Thomas J. The Bicentennial History of the Archdiocese of New York 1808-2008. Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007.
     "Soldiers to Give Up Polyclinic Hospital for Home in Bronx," The New York Times (Oct. 6, 1921).
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell organ, Op. 312 (1893).
     Twomey, Bill, and Thomas X. Casey. Northwest Bronx. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2011.

Illustrations:
     Archdiocese of New York Archives. Crawing of Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum on Fifth Avenue.
     Collection of the Museum of the City of New York. St. Patrick's Girls Asylum (c.1886) on Madison Avenue.
     Public Domain. 1902 building of Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum on Kingsbride Road, Bronx.