Sacred Heart Academy (Convent)
(Roman Catholic)

Washington Bridge and University Avenue
The Bronx, N.Y. 10452


Organ Specifications:
Washington Bridge and University Road, Bronx (c.1905-c.1948?)
II/9 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 308 (1892) – moved from previous location
49 West 17th Street, near Sixth Avenue, Manhattan (?-c.1905)
II/9 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 308 (1892)
II/7 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 122 (1873)
• Henry Erben (1859)




Sacred Heart Academy - New York City (King's Handbook of New York, 1892)  
Click on image to enlarge  
The Sacred Heart Convent was established on 16th and 17th Streets, east of Sixth Avenue, in Manhattan. In 1905, a real estate deal was made where the academy would relocate to the old Ogden Homestead on near the Washington Bridge and University Avenue in the Bronx. This property was probably taken over by the City ca.1948 to allow construction of the Cross-Bronx Expressway.

 

         
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 308 (1892)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 9 stops, 9 ranks


The contract for Odell's Op. 308 was signed in 1892 by the Rev. Mother Keller for the Convent of the Sacred Heart. Total cost for the organ was $1,350, with an expected delivery date of March 1, 1893.

An entry (Feb. 11, 1893) in a Ledger Book of J.H. & C.S. Odell shows that this organ was set up complete per agreement for $1,750.

A 1915 entry in the Odell Ledge Book mentions works on a II/9 Odell organ, so it seems likely that their Op. 308 was moved from Manhattan to the Bronx location.

In 1976, this organ was sold to the Congregation Church of Acton, Mass.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason
58
8
  Melodia [TC]
46
8
  Dulciana
58
4
  Octave
58
8
  Unison Bass
12
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Viola [TC]
46
4
  Flute
58
8
  Stopped Diapason, treble
46
8
  Oboe [TC]
46
8
  Stopped Diapason, bass
12
       
               
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Bourdon
27
       
           
Organ in 17th Street, Manhattan location:

J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 122 (1873)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 7 stops, 7 ranks


The second organ in the convent was built by the J.H. & C.S. Odell company of New York City. The agreement was signed on December 15, 1873 by the donor, William Berge. Cost was $1,500.

This organ was moved twice, first to the Presbyterian Church in Irvington, NY, then to a Methodist Episcopal Church in Babylon, N.Y. in October 1909.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason
58
8
  Clarabella [TC]
46
8
  Unison Bass
12
4
  Principal
58
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Keraulaphon [TC]
46
8
  Stopped Diapason, bass
12
8
  Stopped Diapason, treble
46
4
  Flute à Chiminée
58
               
Pedal Organ – 20 notes [CCC-AA]
16
  Grand Bourdon
20
       
           
Organ in 17th Street, Manhattan location:

Henry Erben
New York City (1859)
Mechanical action


The first known organ for the Sacred Heart Convent on West 17th Street was built by Henry Erben of New York City. Specifications of this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     J.H. & C.S. Odell Ledger Book (Feb. 11, 1893: p.308). Item regarding Odell organ in Academy of the Sacred Heart. Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     Odell, Edward. Information about the J.H. & C.S. Odell organs in Sacred Heart Convent.

Illustration:
     King, Moses. King's Handbook of New York City: An Outline History & Description of the American Metropolis. Boston: Moses King, 1892. "Sacred Heart Academy."