Tremont Baptist Church - Bronx, N.Y.
 
Click on image to enlarge
Tremont Baptist Church

324 East Tremont Avenue
The Bronx, N.Y. 10457
http://www.tremontbaptistchurch.org


Organ Specifications:
II/14 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 196 (1883) – moved (1912)
• unknown (c.1905)


The Tremont Baptist Church was born out of the Mount Hope Mission, which began in the home of Mrs. Dora Smith in the Bronx. On April 9, 1884, the church was formally organized. Over the next two decades, services were held in Mount Hope Chapel at 176th Street and Monroe Avenue, and then on Washington Avenue between 175th and 176th Streets.

In 1904, the congregation moved to its present location on East Tremont Avenue. Architect William H. Birkmire designed a picturesque building that is influenced by early English Gothic references. The exterior is of gray marble ashlar and features a square tower that rises above the polygonal sanctuary and interlocking gables. Construction took place between 1904-06 and 1911-12, and the building was completed in 1913. Dedication services were held April 30 to May 5, 1905. J.B. Francis McDowell was organist, and composed an anthem, "Song of Praise," for the occasion.

On February 8, 2000, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the Tremont Baptist Church an official city landmark.
               
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 196 (1883)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 14 stops, 14 ranks


The Odell organ was originally built in 1883 for Emanuel Baptist Church, located on Suffolk Street in Manhattan, and was moved in 1912 to Tremont Baptist with no apparent changes. Located to the left of the platform, the organ is behind a three-sectioned case and there is a matching case to the right. The console is recessed, and there is a reversible Swell to Great piston in the Swell keyslip.

The handwritten contract between Odell and Emanuel Baptist, dated January 2, 1883, states that the organ was to cost $2,000, and would be ready for use by the first day of April that year, providing the building was ready to receive. Odell's two-manual organ was a standard "Specification D," with one alteration: the 16' Grand Bourdon of 25 notes would be replaced by a 16' Double Open Diapason of 27 notes.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason
58
8
  Dolce [TC]
46
8
  Keraulophon
58
4
  Principal
58
8
  Stopped Diapason Bass
12
4
  Wald Flute [TC]
46
8
  Clarionet Flute [TC]
46
2
  Fifteenth
58

     

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Open Diapason
58
4
  Violina
58
8
  Salicional [TC]
46
2
  Piccolo
58
8
  Stopped Diapason Bass
12
8
  Oboe [TC]
46
8
  Stopped Diapason Treble
46
    Tremulant  

     

     
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Double Open Diapason
27
       
               
Couplers, &C.
    Reversible Coupler (patented)     Swell to Pedal
    Swell to Great     Bellows Signal
   
Great to Pedal
     
               
Sources:
     Dolkart, Andrew S. and Matthew A. Postal. Guide to New York City Landmarks (Third Edition). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2004.
     The Keraulophon (Feb.-Mar., 1978), pub. by New York City Chapter of Organ Historical Society. Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 196 (1883). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Tremont Baptist Church web site: http://www.tremontbaptistchurch.org
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Contract of J.H. & C.S. Odell organ, Op. 196 (1883).

Illustration:
     Tremont Baptist Church web site. Exterior.