Protestant Episcopal Church of the Annunciation - New York City (Putnam's Magazine, 1853)
  Click on image to enlarge
Church of the Annunciation
(Protestant Episcopal)

144 West 14th Street near Seventh Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10011


Organ Specifications:
144 West 14th Street (1846-disbanded 1895)
III/33 George Jardine (1853)
117 Thompson Street (1838-1846)
• Henry Erben (c.1841)


Organized in 1838, the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Annunciation first worshipped in the former Second Associate Presbyterian Church at 117 Thompson Street. In 1846, the society relocated uptown, erecting a Gothic Revival church at 144 West 14th Street near Seventh Avenue. The congregation disbanded in 1895.
           
George Jardine
New York City (1853)
Mechanical action
3 manuals, 28 stops, 33 ranks


This three-manual organ was built in 1853 by George Jardine of New York City. The American Musical Directory of 1861 shows this organ had "3 banks keys, 38 stops, 1½ octaves pedals" and was "Built by Geo. Jardine, in 1848." When Ascension Church was dissolved in 1895, the organ was given to the Church of the Holy Apostles. The following specifications are from The Organ, Its History and Construction (1870) by Edward J. Hopkins.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 54 notes
16
  Double Diapason
54
2 2/3
  Twelfth
54
8
  Open Diapason
54
2
  Fifteenth
54
8
  Stopped Diapason
54
    Sesquialtera, 4 ranks
216
8
  Melodia
54
8
  Trumpet
54
4
  Principal
54
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 54 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
54
2
  Fifteenth
54
8
  Open Diapason
54
    Mixture, 3 ranks
162
8
  Stopped Diapason
54
8
  Trumpet
54
8
  Dulciana
54
8
  Oboe
54
4
  Principal
54
4
  Clarion
54
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 54 notes
8
  Open Diapason
54
4
  Flute
54
8
  Viola di Gamba
54
8
  Clarinet, treble
42
8
  Stopped Diapason
54
8
  Bassoon, bass
12
4
  Principal
54
       
               
Pedal Organ – 25 notes
16
  Open Diapason
25
8
  Octave
25
16
  Bourdon
25
       
               
Couplers
    Swell to Great   Great to Pedal
    Swell Octave to Great   Choir to Pedal
    Swell to Choir   Swell to Pedal
    Choir to Great   Pedal Organ Octave
    Choir Sub-octave to Great    
           
Henry Erben
New York City (c.1841)
Mechanical action


Opus lists for Henry Erben show that an organ was built c.1841 for "Annunciation, NYC" which had to be Episcopal Church of the Annunciation, as the Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation was not organized until 1853. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     American Musical Directory. New York: Thomas Hutchinson, 1861.
     Dunlap, David. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Hopkins, Edward J. The Organ, Its History and Construction. London: Robert Cocks & Co. 1870.
     Ogasapian, John. Organ Building in New York City: 1700-1900. Braintree: The Organ Literature Foundation, 1977. Stoplist of George Jardine organ.

Illustration:
     Putnam's Magazine (Sept. 1853): Engraving of 14th Street church.