Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City
  Click on images to enlarge
Christ and St. Stephen's Church
(Episcopal)

120 West 69th Street
New York, N.Y. 10023
http://www.csschurch.org


Organ Specifications:
120 West 69th Street (since 1897)
III/17 Schoenstein & Co., Op. 153 (2008)
III/19 Randolph Gilberti (1971-73)
•  II/12 Hilborne L. Roosevelt, Op. 175 (1885)
57½ West 46th Street (1873-1897)
• George Jardine & Son (c.1866)
No permanent church from 1866-1873
Broome and Chrystie Streets (1805-1866)
• Henry Erben (1854)
• II/20 Ferris & Stuart (1844)
• William Redstone (1824)


Christ and St. Stephen's Church was formed by a consolidation, in 1975, of two Episcopal congregations that had lost many parishioners as the neighborhood was cleared for the construction of Lincoln Center. The combined congregations worship in the former St. Stephen's Church on West 69th Street.

Christ Church, organized in 1793, was the second oldest Episcopal parish in New York. The society's last church building, erected in 1890, was located on the corner of Broadway and 71st Street. See the page on Christ Church for more information.

St. Stephen Episcopal Church at Broome and Chrystie Streets - New York City  
Broome & Chrystie Streets (1805-1866)  
   
St. Stephen Episcopal Church was founded in 1805. The first church was a wooden structure with steeple that was at the corner of Broome and Chrystie Streets.

  St. Stephen Episcopal Church at 57½ West 46th Street (1873-1897) - New York City
  West 46th Street (1873-1897)
   
Following the Civil War, businesses began to overtake the downtown areas, and many residents moved into new apartments being built farther uptown. In 1873, St. Stephen's congregation abandoned the old church on Broome Street, and merged into the Church of the Advent on West 46th Street. The combined congregation took the name of St. Stephen's Church, likely due to the influx of proceeds from selling their Broome Street building.

By the end of the 19th century, the blocks around Longacre (Times) Square and nearby Grand Central Depot had become a thriving business center, and once again the congregation decided to move.

St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (photo: 1905)  
Present church (1905)  
   
In 1897, St. Stephen's purchased the present church on West 69th Street that had been built in 1876 as the suburban chapel of the Church of the Transfiguration ("The Little Church Around the Corner"). William H. Day designed the picturesque building with its low roofline and small tower. Architect J. D. Fouquet remodeled the church when it was acquired by St. Stephen's congregation.

In May 2004, a portion of the ceiling collapsed, revealing a dangerous and inadequate substructure that required the complete demolition of the 19th century ceiling. Amidst the rubble was found evidence of the stenciling that once decorated the 1876 walls, inspiring the church vestry to commit to a complete restoration of the interior. The renewed space resulted in a more flexible chancel, new pews and furnishings, and improved lighting.

  Christ and St. Stephen's Episcopal Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
  Renovated interior (2008)
   
Christ and St. Stephen's Church has long been supportive of music and the arts. At one time it included an early music group made up of outstanding instrumentalists, who, along with one of the country's premier brass ensembles, were in residence at the church. Original compositions were also encouraged, and composers were given commissions for new works. In 1980, the church established its Fellowship in Church Music, in which graduate level students were chosen to join the staff and assist the director of music. The goal of the Fellows apprentice-type learning of the craft of sacred music was two-fold: to give the student an opportunity to work in a unique liturgical music program with outstanding professional musicians, and to encourage their growth and development by utilizing their particular talents to enrich the church's music. Institutions that have been involved in the program include The Juilliard School, Manhattan School of Music, Westminster Choir College, Yale University, and the Eastman School of Music.
               
  Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008) at Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (credit: Schoenstein & Co.)
Schoenstein & Co.
Benicia, Calif. – Opus 153 (2008)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 56 stops, 15 voices, 17 ranks




The present organ was built in 2008 by Schoenstein & Co., of Benicia, California. Working within the restrictions of a small, 15-foot-high space at the right side of the chancel, Schoenstein designed a compact organ that has 17 ranks controlled by 56 stops. All of the pipes are enclosed, with separate expression for the Great and Swell Organs, and within the Swell Organ enclosure is another enclosure for three stops on heavy wind pressure. The Solo Organ, playable from the lowest manual, is comprised of duplexed stops from the Great and Swell Organs. The movable three-manual console includes an analog clock and rotary master switch (controlling lights and blower) that were inspired by the dashboards of a Rolls-Royce automobile.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Corno Dolce [unit]
85
2
  Mixture III ranks
166
8
  Open Diapason
61
8
  Tuba Minor
SW
8
  Harmonic Flute *
42
8
  Clarinet
61
8
  Corno Dolce
    Tremulant  
8
  Flute Celeste [TC]
49
    Great Unison Off  
8
  Vox Celeste II ranks
SW
    Great to Great 4'  
4
  Principal
61
       
4
  Corno Dolce
   
* 1-19 from Corno Dolce

 

     

 

     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon [unit]
73
16
  Bass Tuba [unit] †
73
8
  Salicional [unit] *
61
16
  Bass Horn [unit]
73
8
  Stopped Diapason [Bdn]
8
  Tuba Minor †
8
  Gamba †
61
8
  Flügel Horn
8
  Vox Celeste †
61
    Tremulant  
8
  Flute Celeste II ranks
GT
    Swell to Swell 16'  
4
  Salicet
    Swell Unison Off  
4
  Chimney Flute [unit]
73
    Swell to Swell 4'  
4
  Flute Celeste II ranks
GT
     
2 2/3
  Nazard [Chim. Fl.]
   
* 1-12 from Stopped Diapason
2
  Fifteenth [Chim. Fl.]
   
in sep. box inside Swell; heavy wind
1 3/5
  Tierce [TC]
42
       
               
Solo Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Open Diapason
GT
2 2/3
  Nazard
SW
8
  Stopped Diapason
SW
2
  Fifteenth
SW
8
  Harmonic Flute
GT
1 3/5
  Tierce
SW
8
  Corno Dolce
GT
16
  Bass Tuba
SW
8
  Flute Celeste
GT
8
  Tuba Minor
SW
8
  Salicional
SW
8
  Flügel Horn
SW
8
  Gamba
SW
8
  Clarinet
GT
8
  Vox Celeste
SW
    Solo to Solo 16'  
4
  Salicet
SW
    Solo Unison Off  
4
  Chimney Flute
SW
    Solo to Solo 4'  

      

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Resultant
4
  Octave [Op. Diap.]
GT
16
  Corno Dolce
GT
4
  Flute [Harm. Flute]
GT
16
  Bourdon
SW
16
  Bass Tuba
SW
8
  Open Diapason
GT
16
  Bass Horn
SW
8
  Corno Dolce
GT
8
  Tuba Minor
SW
8
  Stopped Diapason
SW
4
  Clarinet
GT
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Solo to Great 8'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Great to Solo 8'
    Solo to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Solo 8'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'    
               
Adjustable Combinations (100 levels; programmable piston range for each memory level)
   
   
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Solo Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (toe)
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 (thumb & toe)
               
Reversibles
    Swell to Pedal (thumb)    
    Great to Pedal (thumb and toe)    
    Solo to Pedal (thumb)    
               
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Great Expression Pedal      
    Balanced Swell Expression Pedal      
    Balanced Swell Expression Pedal [hi-press.]      
               
Mechanicals
    Piston sequencer          
    Record/Playback system          
               
   
Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008) at Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)   Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008) at Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)
     
Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008) at Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)   Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008) at Christ and St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)
               
Previous organ in St. Stephen's Church at present location:

Randolph Gilberti
Freeport, N.Y. (1971-73)
Electro-pneumatic action
3-manual, movable console by Hartman and Beaty (1978)
3 manuals, 23 stops, 19 ranks


From 1971-73, Randolph Gilberti rebuilt and enlarged the 1885 Roosevelt organ, and a new, movable three-manual console was built and installed by Hartman and Beaty in 1978. This organ was damaged by the collapse of the ceiling in 2004, and was removed in 2007. Pipecounts given below are suggested.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Bourdon
61
2
  Super Octave
61
8
  Principal
61
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
8
  Gedeckt
61
    Mixture III ranks
183
4
  Octave
61
       

 

     

 

     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Gedeckt
61
2
  Principal
61
8
  Salicional
61
1 1/3
  Quint
61
8
  Celeste [TC]
49
8
  Trumpet
61
4
  Principal
61
    Tremulant  
               
Positiv (Manual I) – 61 notes
    No stops installed          

      

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Resultant
4
  Choral Bass [Principal]
16
  Soubass [unit]
32
4
  Flute
GT
16
  Bourdon
GT
16
  Bombarde
32
8
  Principal [unit]
44
8
  Trumpet
SW
8
  Gedeckt [Soubass]
       
               
Couplers
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'   Great to Pedal 8', 4'
    Swell to Positiv 16', 8', 4'   Swell to Pedal 8', 4'
    Positiv to Great 16', 8', 4'    
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5
Positiv Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5
Generals Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
           
Accessories
    Balanced Swell Pedal   Sforzando Reversible  
    Crescendo Pedal      
               
  c.1901 Interior of St. Stephen Episcopal Church - New York City (Archives, Epis. Diocese of New York)
  c.1901 photo showing Roosevelt Organ
Previous organ in present church:

Hilborne L. Roosevelt
New York City – Opus 175 (1885)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 12 stops



In 1885, Hilborne L. Roosevelt built a two-manual organ for the Chapel of the Church of the Transfiguration, the original owners of the present building. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Organ in St. Stephen's Church located at 57½ West 46th Street:

George Jardine & Son
New York City (c.1866)
Mechanical action


Around 1866, an organ was built by Geo. Jardine & Son for the Church of the Advent. St. Stephen's Church merged into the Church of the Advent in 1873 and remained there until 1897. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Organ in St. Stephen's Church located at Broome and Chrystie Streets:

Henry Erben
New York City (1854)
Mechanical action


Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Organ in St. Stephen's Church located at Broome and Chrystie Streets:

Ferris & Stuart
New York City (1844)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 20 stops


The 1861 American Musical Directory stated that this organ had "2 banks keys, 20 stops, 1½ octaves pedals. Built by R. M. Ferris, in 1844." Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Organ in St. Stephen's Church located at Broome and Chrystie Streets:

William Redstone
New York City (1824)
Mechanical action


Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     American Musical Directory. New York: Thomas Hutchinson, 1861.
     Christ and St. Stephen's Church web site: http://www.csschurch.org
     Dedicatory Concert Series booklet, Schoenstein & Co. organ, Op. 153 (2008). New York: Christ and St. Stephen's Church, 2008.
     Potts, Nigel. Specifications of Schoenstein & Co. Organ, Op. 153 (2008).
     Potts, Nigel. Specifications of previous organ as rebuilt by Randolph Gilberti (1971-1973).

Illustrations:
     Christ and St. Stephen's Church web site. Exterior.
     Dedicatory Concert Series booklet. Console of Schoenstein & Co. organ, Op. 153 (2008).
     Episcopal Diocese of New York Archives. Interior (c.1901) of St. Stephen's Church.
     Lawson, Steven E. Interior; Schoenstein & Co. organ, Op. 153 (2008.