Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
 
Click on image to enlarge
Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church

155 East 22nd Street (between Lexington and Third Avenues)
New York, N.Y. 10010


Organ Specifications
Present Building (since 1889):
III/33 Berkshire Organ Co., Op. 104 (1979); rev.
I/4 J. H. Jørgensen (1970s) – Chapel
• William W. Laws Company
• unknown (c.1889)
First Building (1866-1889)
• unknown



The Swedish Lutheran Church of Gustavus Adolphus was organized in 1865, and the congregation's first building was purchased in 1866. Named for the seventeenth-century king of Sweden, the Svenska Lutherska Gustaf Adolf Kyrkan ministered to Swedes living in New York City. As the Swedish population swelled (from about 3,000 to 20,00 between 1870 and 1900), plans were made for a larger church. The old church building was pulled down in May, 1887, and the cornerstone of the present church was laid on December 11th in the same year. J.C. Cady & Company designed the new building to include social areas and a gymnasium on the ground floor, above which was the large church. The church was opened on May 12, 1889.
           
Berkshire Organ Company, Inc.
West Springfield, Mass. – Opus 104 (1979)
Mechanical renovation and enhancement by
American Classic Organ Company
Chester, Conn.
Mechanical key action (floating, dampened backfall)
Electric stop action and manual to pedal couplers
SSLL MLC-08 combination action (8 levels)
Temperament: Kirnberger III
3 manuals, 24 stops, 33 ranks


This organ was built in 1979 by the Berkshire Organ Company. Berkshire provided three manuals, the lowest of which serves as a coupling manual. The Brust-Positiv was originally enclosed in a swell box with shutters, but a swell pedal was not provided; the organist had to physically move the shutters above the keydesk. At a later date the American Classic Organ Company enhanced the organ, adding an electric combination action and a swell pedal.
               
Coupling Manual (Manual I) – 56 notes
               
Hauptwerk (Manual II) – 56 notes
16
  Quintaton
56
2
  Hellflöte
56
8
  Prinzipal
56
2 2/3
  Sesquialter II ranks
88
8
  Rohrflöte
56
1 1/3
  Mixtur V ranks
280
4
  Octav
56
8
  Trompete
56
4
  Spitzflöte
56

 
Rohrenglocken
25 tubes
               
Brust-Positiv (Manual III) – 56 notes, enclosed
8
  Singendgedeckt
56
1 1/3
  Quintflöte
56
4
  Prestant
56
2/3
  Scharf III ranks
168
4
  Koppelflöte
56
8
  Krummhorn
56
2
  Prinzipal
56

  Tremulant  

     

     
Pédale – 30 notes
16
  Subbass
30
4
  Choralbass
30
16
  Quintaton
HW
2
  Mixtur IV ranks
120
8
  Prinzipalbass
30
16
  Posaune
30
8
  Gedecktbass
30
4
  Zink
30
               
Couplers
    Hauptwerk to Pedal          
    Brust-Positive to Pedal          
           
Chapel

J. H. Jørgensen
Oslo, Norway (1970s)
Mechanical key and stop action
1 manual, 4 ranks
               
Manual – 56 notes
8
  Gedakt
56
       
4
  Fløyte
56
       
2
  Principal
56
       
1 1/3
  Kvint
56
       
           
Previous organ in current building:

William W. Laws Company
Beverly, Mass.
Electro-pneumatic action


Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     "Dedication of the Church of Gustavus Adolphus," The New York Times (May 13, 1889).
     Dunlap, David W. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.

Illustrations:
     Lawson, Steven E. Exterior.