Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City
Click on images to enlarge
Church of the Heavenly Rest
(Episcopal)

2 East 90th Street at Fifth Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10128
http://heavenlyrest.org


Organ Specifications:
Fifth Avenue at 90th Street (since 1929):
V/138 Austin Organ; reb. James A. Konzelman (1995)
IV/137 Austin Organs Inc., Op. 1586-B; rev. (1961, 1972)
IV/75 Austin Organ Company, Op. 1586 (1928)
Fifth Avenue at 45th Street (1870-1925):
III/41 Austin Organ Company, Op. 60 (1901)
II/30 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 93 (1870)
I/9 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 74 (1868)

See also the Chapel of the Beloved Disciple.

Original Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (ca.1905 postcard)  
Just months after the Civil War ended in 1865, a group of veterans, under the guidance of the Rev. Dr. Robert Shaw Howland, founded the Church of the Heavenly Rest as a memorial to those who had served and fallen in that terrible conflict. The first church, a Victorian Gothic building located at 551 Fifth Avenue just north of 45th Street, was designed by Edward T. Potter and built from 1868-71. Although the brick church measured 150 feet long by 95 feet wide, its narrow facade and entrance was only 32 feet wide, prompting the comment, "I see the Heavenly—where's the Rest?" The facade culminated in a tower with an iron-crested mansard, flanked by trumpeting angels. Inside, the church was richly adorned with stained glass in every direction. Elaborately carved wooden trusses were supported by pale red and green columns of imported Irish marble and Aberdeen granite that were topped with capitals of white Dorchester stone surmounted by gas jets. The chancel featured a baldacchino of black walnut, similar to those found in European cathedrals, that was supported by columns of white marble, crowned with capitals of brass. Behind the altar was a painting of "Christ in Glory" in the center. The ceilings were painted in ultramarine blue, under which were butternut pews upholstered in crimson, the same color used for the carpeting.

  Church of the Beloved Disciple - New York City (1870 leaflet cover)
 
Church of the Beloved Disciple
By the 1920s, the blocks around Grand Central Terminal had become the world's most renowned shopping district, and area houses of worship capitalized on their land and moved. The Rev. Dr. Henry Darlington, the rector, approached Mrs. Andrew (Louise) Carnegie about purchasing the lot on the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 90th Street. Her late husband had paid $1.7 million for the land in 1917, in part to prevent a tall building from blocking the light to his garden directlly across 90th Street to the north. Mrs. Carnegie agreed to the sale, with the restrictions through 1975 that the land be used only for a Christian church no higher than 75 feet, exclusive of steeples. Following the purchase of the property in November 1924, Heavenly Rest merged with the Church of the Beloved Disciple, located on 89th Street and Madison Avenue and only two blocks from the site of the new church. In 1925, the Heavenly Rest congregation sold their midtown property and worshiped for the next four years at the Church of the Beloved Disciple.

Episcopal Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)  
Construction of the present church began on All Saints' Day in 1926, as designed by Hardie Phillip of Mayers, Murray & Phillip, the successor firm to Bertram Goodhue Associates. Phillip designed a distinctive but stripped-down neo-Gothic building with Art Moderne elements that contrast broad areas of Indiana limestone with large open areas filled with delicate Gothic tracery. The main entrance on Fifth Avenue is anchored by two squat towers between which are an enormous stained glass window and sculpture by Lee Lawrie. The focal point of the interior is the limestone reredos, designed by Earl N. Thorp and carved by Edward Ardolino, which rises 50 feet behind the altar and frames the rose window. Strong piers along the side aisles continue uninterrupted to support the ribbed vaulting, resulting in a wide and vast nave. The church seats about 1100 people in pews that were designed to hold only six persons each. The $3,200,000 church complex, which includes a parish house and community center, was dedicated on Easter Day 1929. Of the many sculptures planned for the new church, about two thirds were never executed, due in part to financial difficulties brought on by the Depression.

In the early hours of Saturday, August 7, 1993, a three-alarm electrical fire destroyed the organ console, choir stalls, woodwork, and two stone arches on the south side of the chancel. Amazingly, the firemen were able to ventilate the church in order to save the windows, but the intense inferno coated the interior and all furnishings with a thick layer of black soot. Over a period of several years, the church interior and organ were cleaned and restored, and a sealant was applied to the Guastavino vaulting tiles and Akoustolith walls in an effort to improve the dry acoustic. The original lighting fixtures, which were indirect and somewhat dim — prompting the fond but irreverant nickname of "Celestial Snooze" — were replaced with custom-designed pendants in 2004.
           
 

Organ Console - Church of the Heavenly Rest, NYC

   
 

Organ Console - Church of the Heavenly Rest, NYC

   
Austin Organs Inc.
Hartford, Conn. – Opus 1586 (1929, 1961, 1972)
Rebuilt by James A. Konzelman Organs
Maplewood, N.J. (1995)
Electro-pneumatic action
5 manuals, 137 stops, 138 ranks



The organ in Heavenly Rest was originally built by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, Conn., and rebuilt and tonally altered by that firm in 1961 and 1972. The devastating fire of August 7, 1993, incinerated the organ console and Processional Diapason, and the wind line of the Processional Diapason chest acted as a chimney to bring smoke into the Universal Air Chests in the chamber above. Although most of the organ's 8,000 pipes remained intact, it was necessary to clean the pipework and chambers, install new Austin actions, rewire the organ, and replace the console. A new movable five-manual drawknob console with a multi-level SSOS combination action was built by the Guilbault-Thérien Organ Company of St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada. James A. Konzelman, organ curator, installed a MultiSystem relay and switching system.

Konzelman also made significant tonal changes to the organ: The Bombarde principal chorus, which was located behind the reredos, next to the exposed Great, was moved (with new wind chests) to a new location, above the Positiv, forward of the Solo. This freed up space to enlarge the unenclosed Great by adding new independent Trompetes 16', 8', 4', and 8' and 4' flutes. The old enclosed Great (located in the Choir box) was then redesigned and made a part of the Choir Division. A hooded Bombarde on high pressure was added to the renamed "Celestial" division in a chamber on the north side of the rear gallery. A new principal chorus was installed in the Great and Positiv divisions, permitting the old pipework to be rescaled and relocated to more needy parts of the organ. In general, much of the organ's fluework work was increased in scale to provide a more relaxed, less pushed tone, at the appropriate volume, and to correct tonal imbalances within and between divisions. New pipework replaced those ranks that were either too soft, too loud, too fat or too thin. These included: Swell Flute Celeste II; Positiv Gedeckt; Choir Trompette, Clairon, Cromorne, and Dulzian. Most of the reeds were sent to Trivo for cleaning and voicing.

John Scott, then of St. Paul's Cathedral in London, played the rededication concert.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, unenclosed (located behind reredos)
16
  Quintaton 
61
    Mixture IV ranks
244
8
  Principal
61
 
  Scharf III ranks
183
8
  Flûte harmonique
61
16
  Double Trumpet 
61
8
  Bourdon 
61
8
  Trumpet
61
8
  Gemshorn
POS
4
  Clarion
61
8
  Viola
CH
 
 
Tremulant
preparation
4
  Octave
61
    Chimes
SO
4
  Flûte conique
61
    Unison Off  
2 2/3
  Quinte
61
 8
  Trompette harmonique
SO
2
  Octave
61
8
  State Trumpet
CEL
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon doux
73
    Plein Jeu IV ranks
244
8
  Montre
73
    Cymbale III ranks
183
8
  Flûte creuse
73
16
  Basson
73
8
  Bourdon
73
8
  Trompette
73
8
  Viole de gambe
73
8
  Hautbois
73
8
  Voix céleste [TC]
61
8
  Voix humaine F *
61
8
  Flûte douce
73
8
  Voix humaine P *
8
  Flûte céleste [TC]
61
4
  Clairon
73
4
  Prestant
73
    Tremulant  
4
  Flûte à cheminée
73
    Swell to Swell 16'  
3 1/5
 
Grosse Tierce
preparation
    Unison Off  
2 2/3
  Nasard
61
    Swell to Swell 4'  
2
  Doublette
61
 
  Sostenuto  
2
  Quarte de nasard
61
8
 
Trompette harmonique
SO
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
8
  State Trumpet
CEL

     

 
* in separate swell box
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Viola
73
1 3/5
  Terz
61
16
  Dulciana
73
1 1/3
  Larigot
61
8
  Montre
73
1 1/7
  Septième
61
8
  Flûte traversière
73
    Plein Jeu V ranks
305
8
  Rohrflöte
73
16
  Douçaine
73
8
  Viola
73
8
  Trompette
73
8
  Viola Celeste
73
8
  Cromorne
73
8
 
Dulcet II ranks
preparation
4
  Clairon
73
8
  Dulciana
73
    Tremulant  
8
  Unda Maris
73
   
Harp [TC]
61 bars
4
  Prestant
73
    Choir to Choir 16'  
4
  Nachthorn
73
    Unison Off  
4
  Violina
73
    Choir to Choir 4'  
4
  Violina Celeste
73
8
  Trompette harmonique
SO
2 2/3
  Nasat
61
8
  State Trumpet
CEL
2
  Blockflöte
61
       

     

     
Positiv Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, unenclosed
8
  Holzgedeckt
61
    Scharf IV ranks
244
8
 
Gemshorn
preparation
    Zimbel III ranks
183
8
 
Quintadena
preparation
16
 
Rankett
preparation
4
  Prinzipal
61
8
 
Krummhorn
preparation
4
  Koppelflöte
61
4
 
Rohrschalmei
preparation
2
  Oktave
61
    Tremulant  
1 1/3
  Quinte
61
 
  Unison Off  
1
  Oktave
61
 
 
Zimbelstern
11 bells
   
Sesquialtera II ranks
preparation
       

     

     
Solo Organ (Manual IV) – 61 notes, enclosed
 
  Enclosed:  

  Unenclosed:  
8
  Orchestral Flute
73
16
 
Violon
preparation
8
  Violoncello
73
8
  Montre
61
8
  Cello Celeste
73
4
  Prestant
61
 
  Tierce Mixture V-VIII rks
344
   
Fourniture IV ranks
244
16
  Bombarde
73
    Cornet de Récit V [g2-d5]
150
8
  Trompette
73
16
  Trompette harmonique [TC]
8
  French Horn
73
8
  Trompette harmonique
73
8
  English Horn
73
4
  Trompette harmonique
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  State Trumpet
CEL
4
  Clairon
73
       
    Tremulant [fan]          
 
 
Chimes
25 tubes
       
    Solo to Solo 16'          
    Unison Off          
    Solo to Solo 4'          

     

     
Celestial Organ (Manual V) – 61 notes (located in gallery chamber; shutters prepared for)
8
  Diapason
73
 
  Celestial to Celestial 16'
8
  Gedeckt
73
    Unison Off  
8
  Viole sourdine
73
   
Celestial to Celestial 4'
8
  Viole céleste [TC]
61
8
  Cornet de Récit V ranks
SO
4
 
Flute
preparation
8
  State Trumpet [hooded]
61
8
 
Tromba
preparation
8
  Trompette harmonique
SO
8
 
Corno d'Amore
preparation
  Celestial Pedal
8
 
Vox Humana
preparation
32
 
Subbass
preparation
   
Tremulant
preparation
16
  Subbass [ext. CEL]
12
   
Chimes
preparation
8
  Gedeckt
CEL

     

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Bourdon [unit]
44
 
  Mixture IV ranks
128
32
 
Soubasse
preparation
 
  Scharf III ranks
96
16
  Principal
32
32
 
Grand Cornet VI ranks
derived
16
  Bourdon
32
  Contra Posaune [unit]
44
16
  Soubasse
32
16
  Posaune
16
  Quintaton
GT
16
  Double Trumpet
GT
16
  Bourdon doux
SW
16
  Bombarde
SO
16
  Violon
SO
16
  Basson
SW
16
  Viola
CH
8
  Trompette
32
8
  Octave
32
8
  Trumpet
GT
8
  Bourdon
32
8
  Basson
SW
8
  Spitzflöte [unit]
44
4
  Clairon
32
8
  Bourdon doux
SW
4
  Clarion
GT
8
  Violoncello
SO
4
  Krummhorn
POS
8
  Viola
CH
2
  Kornett
32
5 1/3
  Quint
32
8
  State Trumpet
CEL
4
  Octave
32
8
  Trompette harmonique
SO
4
  Spitzflöte
4
  Trompette harmonique
SO
4
  Nachthorn [unit]
44
    Chimes
SO
2
  Nachthorn
 
     
           
  Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586-B (1961) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City
Austin Organs Inc.
Hartford, Conn. – Opus 1586-B (1961, 1972)
Electro-pneumatic action
4 manuals, 116 stops, 137 ranks




In 1961, then-organist Charles Dodsley Walker and Richard Piper of Austin Organs embarked on an ambitious program to greatly enlarge and tonally revise the original 1929 Austin organ. The "Universal Air Chests" were rebuilt, new chests and pipes were added, and a new four-manual drawknob console was installed. Austin also intalled a two-manual stopkey console in the gallery. When the project was finished in 1972, the organ totalled 137 ranks.

The rebuilding of the Heavenly Rest organ was one of a "quartet" of large and important Austin contracts in the 1960s in New York City, the others being the new organs at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church (1961, Op. 2347), First Presbyterian Church (1961, Op. 2408) and Brick Presbyterian Church (1963, Op. 2400).
               
Manual I – 61 notes
Great Organ (unenclosed) Enclosed Great Organ
16
  Quintaten 
61
16
  Violone
preparation
8
  Diapason
61
8
  Principal
73
8
  Harmonic Flute
61
8
  Viola
73
4
  Octave
61
8
  Gedeckt
73
2 2/3
  Octave Quint
61
8
  Gemshorn
73
2
  Super Octave
61
4
  Harmonic Flute
73
    Fourniture IV ranks
244
2
  Waldflöte
preparation
    Scharf III ranks
183
    Mixture IV ranks
244
       
16
  Double Trumpet
73
       
8
  Trumpet
73
       
4
  Clarion
73
            Chimes  
               
Manual II – 61 notes
Choir Organ (enclosed) Positiv Organ (unenclosed)
16
  Dulciana
73
8
  Nason Flute
61
8
  Rohrflöte
73
4
  Prinzipal
61
8
  Salicional
73
4
  Koppelflöte
61
8
  Quintadena
73
2
  Oktav
61
8
  Dulciana
73
1 1/3
  Larigot
61
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
61
1
  Sifflöte
61
4
  Nachthorn
73
    Mixtur IV ranks
244
2 2/3
  Nasat
61
    Zimbel III ranks
183
2
  Blockflöte
73
    Tremulant  
1 3/5
  Terz
73
       
16
  Rankett
preparation
       
8
  Krummhorn
preparation
 
     
4
  Rohrschalmei
preparation
       
    Tremulant
61
       
   
Harp [TC]
61 bars
       
   
Cymbelstern

4 bells

       

     

     
Manual III – 61 notes
Swell Organ (enclosed) Antiphonal Organ (unenclosed)
16
  Bourdon Doux
73
8
  Prinzipal
61
8
  Principal
73
8
  Gedeckt
61
8
  Flute Creuse
73
4
  Oktav
61
8
  Bourdon
73
2
  Superoktav
61
8
  Gambe
73
    Mixtur III ranks
183
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
61
8
  Helle Trompete
61
8
  Flute Douce
73
4
  Clarine
61
8
  Flute Celeste [TC]
61
       
4
  Principal
73
       
4
  Flute à Chiminée
73
       
4
  Viole
73
     
2 2/3
  Nasard
61
       
2
  Doublette
61
       
2
  Quarte de Nasard
61
       
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
       
    Plein Jeu IV ranks
244
       
    Cymbale III ranks
183
       
16
  Basson
73
       
8
  Trompette
73
       
8
  Hautbois
73
       
4
  Clairon
73
       
8
  Voix Humaine
61
       
    Tremblant          

     

     
Manual IV – 61 notes
Solo Organ (enclosed) Bombarde Organ (unenclosed)
8
  Diapason
73
8
  Montre
61
8
  Orchestral Flute
73
4
  Prestant
61
8
  Violoncello
73
    Grande Fourniture V ranks
305
8
  Cello Celeste
73
    Cornet de Récit V ranks
150
    Tierce Mixture V ranks
344
8
  Trompette Harmonique
73
8
  French Horn
73
4
  Clairon Harmonique
8
  Clarinet
73
    Chimes  
8
  English Horn
73
       
16
  Bombarde
73
       
8
  Trompette
73
       
4
  Clairon
73
       
    Tremulant          

     

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Contra Bourdon [unit]
56
 
  Mixture IV ranks
128
16
  Principal
32
   
Cymbel III ranks
96
16
  Bourdon
    Grand Cornet VII ranks
derived
16
  Subbass
32
32
  Contre Bombarde [unit]
44
16
  Violone
GT
16
  Posaune
16
  Quintaten
GT
16
  Bombarde
SO
16
  Bourdon Doux
SW
16
  Basson
SW
16
  Dulciana
CH
16
  Rankett
CH
8
  Principal
32
8
  Trompette
SO
8
  Spitzflöte [unit]
44
8
  Basson
SW
8
  Bourdon
4
  Clairon
SO
8
  Bourdon Doux
SW
4
  Krummhorn
CH
8
  Cello
SO
2
  Kornett
32
8
  Dulciana
CH
       
5 1/3
  Quint
32
    Antiphonal Pedal  
4
  Choralbass
32
16
  Gedeckt [ext.]
12
4
  Spitzflöte
8
  Prinzipal
32
2
  Nachthorn
32
8
  Gedeckt
ANT
               
Choir Pitch (Manual II)
8
  Pitch Geigen
49
 
     
           
  Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1928) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (photo: Wurts Bros., 1929)
  Original 1928 Austin console designed
by Bertram Goodhue Associates
  Chancel view of Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1928) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City
Austin Organ Company
Hartford, Conn. – Opus 1586 (1928)
Electro-pneumatic action
4 manuals, 92 stops, 75 ranks



The original 75-rank organ in the present building was installed in 1928-29 by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, Conn. Dr. J. Christopher Marks, organist and choirmaster for the previous 24 years, was instructed by the Vestry to specify what he wanted and his wishes were followed exactly. The instrument was installed in three sections: the Great and Pedal were behind the stone reredos; the enclosed divisions behind a stone grill in the south chancel; and the Echo was in a gallery chamber at the west end of the nave.

Five softer stops in the Swell division were contained in a separate enclosure within the Swell expression box; the separately enclosed Vox Humana was located within the secondary enclosure.

Another notable feature of this organ was its movable four-manual drawknob console. At the time, almost all of Austin's consoles were built with simple but efficient stopkey controls. Bertram Goodhue Associates, architects of the church, designed the massive console shell and, in keeping with the desire to hide all parts of the organ from view, banished the console to a raised platform in the south hallway off the chancel.

The contract dated January 18, 1928, indicates that the organ cost $50,750.
               
Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1928) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (photo: Wurts Bros., 1929)   Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1928) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (photo: Wurts Bros., 1929)   Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1928) in Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City (photo: Wurts Bros., 1929)
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes (located behind reredos)
16
  Double Diapason
61
4
  Harmonic Flute *
61
8
  First Diapason
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
8
  Second Diapason
61
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Third Diapason *
61
    Mixture IV ranks *
244
8
  Grossfloete
61
16
  Double Trumpet *
61
8
  Gedackt *
61
8
  Trumpet *
61
8
  Viole *
61
4
  Clarion *
61
8
  Gemshorn *
61
   
Chimes
EC
4
  Principal
61
   
* enclosed in Choir expression box
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
1 3/5
  Tierce +
61
8
  Open Diapason
73
1
  Twenty-second +
61
8
  Second Diapason
73
16
  Fagotto
73
8
  Clarabella
73
8
  Cornopean
73
8
  Chimney Flute **
73
8
  Corno d'Amore
73
8
  Viole d'Orchestre
73
8
  Oboe
73
8
  Viole Celeste [TC]
61
8
  Vox Humana **
61
8
  Salicional
73
    (separate chest, box, tremulant)
8
  Voix Celeste **
73
4
  Clarion
61
8
  Aeoline **
73
 
  Tremolo [valve]  
4
  Flauto Traverso **
73
 
  Antiphonal Tremulant [valve]
4
  Fugara
73
 
 
** under separate expression in
main Swell expression box

+ selective mixture
2 2/3
  Nazard +
61
 
 
2
  Flautino +
61
   

     

 
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Double Dulciana
109
2
  Piccolo
61
8
  Open Diapason
73
2
  Dulcet
8
  Viola d'Gamba
73
1
  Dulcinet
8
  Melodia
73
8
  English Horn
73
8
  Flute Celeste [TC]
61
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  Dulciana
    Tremolo [valve]  
8
  Unda Maris
61
8
 
Harp [TC]
61 bars
8
  Quintadena
73
4
 
Celesta
4
  Flute d'Amour
73
8
  Tuba Mirabilis
SO
4
  Dolce
       
               
Processional stop [located in Choir Room]      
8
  Violin Diapason [TC]
49
       
               
Solo Organ (Manual IV) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Grand Diapason
73
8
  Tuba Mirablis [heavy wind]
73
8
  Major Flute
73
8
  Tuba Harmonic
73
8
  Major Gamba
73
8
  French Horn
73
8
  Gamba Celeste
73
8
  Orchestral Oboe
73
8
  Flute Ouverte
73
4
  Tuba Clarion
61
16
  Tuba Profunda
73
    Tremolo [fan]  

     

     
Echo Organ – 61 notes, enclosed
(To be duplexed and operated from both the Solo and Choir manuals and be affected by the couplers of the respective manuals on which the stops are drawn. The purpose of this is to be able to produce effects similar to those of a two manual organ.)
8
  Cor d'Nuit
73
 8
  Oboe
73
8
  Viole Aetheria
73
 8
  Vox Humana
61
8
  Vox Angelica
61
    (separate chest, box, tremulant)
8
  Gedackt
73
    Tremolo [valve]  
4
  Fern Flute
73
   
Chimes [Deagan]
25 tubes

     

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Contra Bourdon [unit]
56
8
  Cello
CH
16
  First Diapason [unit]
56
4
  Super Octave
16
  Second Diapason
GT
32
  Contra Bombarde [unit]
44
16
  Violone [ext. CH Cello]
12
16
  Bombarde
16
  Bourdon
16
  Tuba Profunda
SO
16
  Dulciana
CH
8
  Tuba Harmonic
SO
16
  Dolce Bourdon
SW
4
  Tuba Clarion
SO
8
  Octave
16
  Fagotto
SW
8
  Flute
       
8
  Dolce
CH
16
  Echo Bourdon [ext. EC]
12
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Solo to Choir 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Great to Swell 8'
    Choir to Pedal 8'   Solo to Swell 8'
    Solo to Pedal 8', 4'   Great to Great 16', 4', Unison Off
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'   Swell to Swell 16', 4', Unison Off
    Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'   Choir to Choir 16', 4', Unison Off
    Solo to Great 16', 8', 4'   Great to Solo 8'
    Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'   Swell to Solo 16', 8', 4'
               
Accessories
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal.
    Balanced Expression Pedal for Choir & Great.
    Balanced Expression Pedal for Swell.
    Balanced Expression Pedal for Solo & Echo.
    Great to Pedal, Reversible, both by Piston and Pedal.
    Solo to Pedal, Reversible, both by Piston and Pedal.
    Solo to Great, Reversible, both by Piston and Pedal.
    Sforzando Pedal, with lamp indicator.
    Indicators for Expression and Crescendo Pedals.
    Pistons affecting Great and Swell to be fitted with Double Touch for Pedal.
    Eight adjustable combination pistons placed above upper manual to control entire organ, including couplers.
    Six combination pedals duplicating the first six General Pistons.
    All adjustable combination pistons and pedals are to be adjustable by the organist while seated at the console. All are to visbly affect the registers.
    Master Swell Control operating from Swell Shoe.
           
  Austin Organ, Op. 60 (1901) in the Church of the Heavenly Rest - New York City
 
1916 photo showing Austin Organ, Op. 60 (1901) at left of chancel
Organ in church located on Fifth Avenue at East 45th Street:

Austin Organ Company
Hartford, Conn. – Opus 60 (1901)
Tubular-pneumatic action (Main organ)
Electro-pneumatic action (Echo)
3 manuals, 41 stops, 41 ranks


A new Austin organ was installed in 1901 as part of the celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the rectorate of the Rev. Dr. D. Parker Morgan. The Austin Factory Specifications show that the three-manual organ had a detached console, a case of black walnut, and front pipes decorated "in harmony with case and church." The organ was dedicated by Bishop Potter in a service of thanksgiving on January 8, 1901, with the choir of St. Bartholomew's assisting the parish choir in rendering Sullivan's "Festival Te Deum."
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, partially enclosed with Choir
    Unenclosed       Enclosed in Choir swell box  
16
  Double Open Diapason
61
8
  Viola da Gamba
61
8
  First Open Diapason
61
8
  Doppel Flöte
61
8
  Second Open Diapason
61
4
  Flute Harmonique
61
8
  Gross Flöte
61
    Quint Mixture, 2 ranks
122
4
  Octave
61
8
  Trumpet
61
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
61
4
  Fugara
61
8
  Open Diapason
61
2
  Flautino
61
8
  Viole d'Orchestre
61
    Mixture, 4 ranks
244
8
  Salicional
61
16
  Contra Posaune
61
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
49
8
  Cornopean
61
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
8
  Oboe
61
4
  Flauto Traverso
61
       
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed a portion of the Great Organ
8
  Geigen Principal
61
4
  Flute d'Amour
61
8
  Dolce
61
2
  Piccolo Harmonique
61
8
  Concert Flute
61
8
  Clarinet
61
8
  Quintadena
61
       
               
Echo Organ – 61 notes, enclosed; apart from main organ and connected electrically
8
  Viola Aetheria
61
8
  Gedackt
61
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
49
8
  Vox Humana
61

     

     
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Open Diapason [unit]
42
8
  Gross Flöte [Op. Diap.]
16
  Violone [GT Dbl. O.D.]
GT
8
  Flote Dolce [Bourdon]
16
  Bourdon [unit]
42
16
  Trombone
30
16
  Lieblich Gedackt
SW
       
               
Couplers (operated by tilting tablets over Swell manual, grouped)
    Choir to Pedal   Choir Sub
    Swell to Pedal   Choir Super
    Great to Pedal   Swell to Choir
    Swell to Great   Swell Sub
    Swell to Great Sub   Swell Super
    Swell to Great Super   Great Sub
    Choir to Great   Great Super
    Choir to Great Sub   Pedal Super
    Choir to Great Super    
         
Organ in church located on Fifth Avenue at East 45th Street:

J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 93 (1870)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 29 stops, 30 ranks


In 1870, the one-manual Odell organ from 1868 was replaced with a larger, two-manual Odell organ. It had a case of black walnut, with pipes of blue, crimson and gold. At first, the organ was placed in the corner of the church, but later a loft was built.

The following specification was recorded by concert organist Lynnwood Farnam (1885-1930) in one of his organ notebooks which are now located in the library of the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
16
  Tenoroon
58
4
  Flute harmonic
58
8
  Open Diapason
58
2 2/3
  Twelfth
58
8
  Keraulophon
58
2
  Fifteenth
58
8
  Dolce [wood bass]
58
    Sesquialtera, 3 ranks
174
8
  Clarionet Flute
58
8
  Trumpet
58
4
  Principal
58
4
  Clarion
58
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon bass
12
4
  Principal
58
16
  Double Diapason [TC]
46
    Cornet, 2 ranks
116
8
  Open Diapason [wood bass]
58
8
  Cornopean
58
8
  Dulciana
58
8
  Bassoon [bass]
12
8
  Stopped Diapason
58
8
  Oboe [TC]
46
4
  Violina
58
8
  Vox Humana
58

     

     
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Grand Double Open
27
8
  Violoncello
27
16
  Grand Bourdon
27
8
  Trombone
27
10 2/3
  Quint
27
       
               
Couplers
    Swell to Pedal       Swell to Great  
    Great to Pedal       Swell to Great octave  
               
Accessories
    3 pneumatic combination pedals acting on the Great
    Swell to Great reversible
    Great to Pedal reversible
    Balanced Swell pedal      
    Bellows signal          
           
Organ in church located on Fifth Avenue at 45th Street:

J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 74 (1868)
Electro-pneumatic action
1 manual, 9 stops, 9 ranks


The handwritten contract for this organ, dated May 30, 1868, shows that Odell's opus 74 would be enclosed in a pine grained case that had decorated large speaking pipes in the front. The organ cost $1,600 and would be completed on or before the 15th day of September 1868.
               
Manual– 56 notes
8
  Open Diapason *
56
4
  Principal
56
8
  Second Open Diapason
56
3
  Twelfth
56
8
  Dulciana [TC]
44
2
  Fifteenth
56
8
  Stopped Diapason Bass
12
8
  Trumpet [TC]
44
8
  Clarionet Flute [TC]
44
   
* unenclosed

     

     
Pedal – 25 notes
16
  Grand Bourdon
25
       
               
Mechanicals
    Pedal coupler       Bellows Signal  
           
Sources:
     "The American Spirit in a Gothic Church," The New York Times (Feb. 27, 1927).
     Barnes, William Harrison, and Edward B. Gammons. Two Centuries of American Organ Building. Glen Rock: J. Fisher & Bro., 1970.
     "Bishop Dedicates New Heavenly Rest," The New York Times (Apr. 1, 1929).
     "A Celebration in the Church of the Heavenly Rest," The New York Times (Dec. 14, 1901).
     Church of the Heavenly Rest Archive. Courtesy Molly Pickering Grose.
     "Church Is Closed After 57 Years," The New York Times (Apr. 20, 1925).
     "Church Unveils Reredos; Memorial Sculpture Installed in Heavenly Rest Edifice," The New York Times (Mar. 28, 1938).
     Dunlap, David W. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Farnam, Lynnwood. "Organ Notebook" with specification of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 93 (1870). John de Lancie Library, The Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia; Sally Branca, Archivist. Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     "Gives $50,000 Organ in Honor of Mother," The New York Times (Dec. 26, 1927).
     Gray, Christopher. "Streetscapes/Church of the Heavenly Rest, Fifth Avenue and 90th Street; Restoring One of Manhattan's Magnificent Churches," The New York Times (Oct. 12, 1997).
     Konzelman, James A. Electronic correspondence (Nov. 25, 2013) describing his rebuilding of and tonal changes to the organ.
     "Last Services Held in Disciple Church," The New York Times (Feb. 11, 1929).
     "The New Protestant Episcopal Church of the Heavenly Rest," The New York Times (Feb. 5, 1869).
     "New Heavenly Rest to Open Tomorrow," The New York Times (Mar. 30, 1929).
     Ochse, Orpha. Austin Organs. Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 2001.
     Odell Company Opus List, compiled by Sand Lawn. Courtesy David Scribner.
     Pope, Virginia. "New Era of Church Building Begins," The New York Times (Mar. 31, 1929).
     Stern, Robert A.M., Gregory Gilmartin, and Thomas Mellins. New York 1930: Architecture and Urbanism Between the Two World Wars. New York City: Rizzoli International Publications, 1987.
     Stern, Robert A.M., Thomas Mellins, and David Fishman. New York 1880: Architecture and Urbanism in the Gilded Age. New York City: The Monacelli Press, 1999.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Contract (May 30, 1868) for J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 74 (1868).
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of Austin Organ, Op. 60 (1901)..
     Webber, F.R. "Some Early Organs in New York City Described Vividly," The Diapason (June 1, 1957). Courtesy James Lewis.

Illustrations:
     The American Organist (May 1961). Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586-B (1961).
     The American Organist (unknown date). Console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1929). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Church of the Heavenly Rest Archive. Exterior and interior of 1869 church on Fifth Avenue at 45th Street.
     Lawson, Steven E. Interior and exterior of present church; 1870 leaflet from the Church of the Beloved Disciple.
     Wurts Bros. (New York, N.Y.). Photos (1929) of console of Austin Organ, Op. 1586 (1929).