Immanuel Lutheran Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
  Click on images to enlarge
Immanuel Lutheran Church
(Evangelical Lutheran Church in America)

122 East 88th Street at Lexington Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10128
http://www.immanuelnyc.org

Organ Specifications:
122 East 88th Street at Lexington Avenue (since 1886):
III/55 John L. Randolph Pipe Organs (1989)
III/33 Wicks Organ Company, Op. 3370 (1953)
III/34 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 330 (1895); inst. (1907)
II/17 Hilborne L. Roosevelt, Op. 340 (1886)
163 East 87th Street (1880-1886)
• unknown
87th Street near Third Avenue (1867-1879)
• unknown
87th Street near Fourth Avenue (1863-1867)
• unknown


Immanuel Lutheran Church - NYC (Photo: © 2005, John Rust)

 

 
Immanuel Lutheran Church - NYC (Photo: © 2005, John Rust)  
The present Immanuel Lutheran Church was erected by German immigrants in 1886. The church was constructed in a Gothic style reminiscent of church architecture prevalent in northern Europe in the latter years of the 19th century. The interior is 100 ft. x 60 ft. and 75 ft. high to the rafters. Of particular note in the interior are the ornate and irreplaceable chancel wood carvings which were hand-carved in the Black Forest of Germany. Immanuel's stained-glass windows, installed in 1973, were designed by Mr. Benoit Gilsoul, a Belgian-born artist living and working in New York City. They were fabricated of faceted glass by Mr. Helmut Schardt of East Northport, Long Island. The various windows are a visual meditation on the verses of the ancient Christian hymn, Te Deum Laudamus. The three bells in the 200 foot tower were cast in 1886 by G.E. Gollen von C. Dob & Son of Stettin, Germany, and are inscribed Glaube, Hoffnung, and Liebe (Faith, Hope, and Charity); they were a gift to the new congregation from the Empress Auguste-Victoria of Germany in the late 1800s.
               
 

John L. Randolph organ (1989) in Immanuel Lutheran Church - NYC (Photo: © 2005, John Rust)

John L. Randolph Pipe Organs
Leonia, N.J. (1989)
Direct-Electric ® action
Solid-State combination action
3 manuals, 58 stops, 55 ranks






In 1989, the Wicks organ from 1953 was tonally rebuilt by John L. Randolph of Leonia, N.J. Work included the addition of a new German-style Trompete stop; a new Mixture IV; and rescaling of the principal chorus on the Great. In the Swell Organ, Randolph added independent mutation stops (Nazard and Tierce); revoiced the reeds in the brilliant French style, and rescaled the strings. In the Choir Organ, the 4' Flute, Dulciana and Unda Maris were rescaled, and the Clarinet was revoiced in the French style. New reed stops at 16', 8' and 4' pitches were added to the Pedal Organ. Several additional ranks were donated by the builder to "round out" the specifications, as follows: (Swell) 2' Plein Jeu IV, 8' Voix Humaine, replacement of part of the 2' Flute; (Choir) 1/2' Scharff III, 2-2/3' Twelfth and 1-1/3' Nineteenth; (Pedal): 2-2/3' Mixture IV. Randolph also installed a larger combination action in the 1953 Wicks console. The organ and choir are located in the rear gallery and enjoy a resonant acoustic.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Gedeckt
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
16
  Diapason
61
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Diapason
61
1 1/3
  Mixture IV ranks
244
8
  Doppel Flute
61
8
  Trompete
61
8
  Harmonic Flute
61
    Tremulant  
8
  Gamba
61
 
 
Chimes (Mayland)
25 tubes
4
  Octave
61
 
  Great to Great 16'  
4
  Flute
61
    Great to Great 4'  
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
61
2
  Plein Jeu IV ranks
244
8
  Montre
61
16
  Basson
61
8
  Bourdon
61
8
  Trompette
61
8
  Viole
61
8
  Hautbois
61
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
49
8
  Voix Humaine
61
4
  Prestant
61
4
  Clairon
61
4
  Flute Ouverte
61
    Tremulant  
2 2/3
  Nazard
61
 
  Swell to Swell 16'  
2
  Flute
61
 
  Swell Unison Off  
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
    Swell to Swell 4'  
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Diapason
61
 1 1/3
  Nineteenth
61
8
  Chimney Flute
61
2/3
  Sharp Mixture III ranks
183
8
  Concert Flute
61
8
  Clarinet
61
8
  Dulciana
61
    Tremulant  
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
49
8
  Trompete
GT
4
  Principal
61
 
  Choir to Choir 16'  
4
  Chimney Flute
61
    Choir Unison Off  
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
    Choir to Choir 4'  
2
  Fifteenth
61
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Open Diapason
32
4
  Fifteenth
32
16
  Principal
32
4
  Flute
32
16
  Subbass
32
2
  Mixture IV ranks
128
16
  Bourdon
32
16
  Posaune
32
16
  Violone [in Choir]
32
16
  Basson
SW
10 2/3
  Quint
8
  Trompete
32
8
  Octave
32
4
  Clarion
32
8
  Bass Flute
32
4
  Clarinet
CH
8
  Cello [ext.]
12
 
     
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-0 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-0 (thumb)
Choir Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-0 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-0 (thumb)
General Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16 (thumb & toe)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Setter (thumb)
               
Pedal Movements
    Swell Expression Pedal   Great to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Choir Expression Pedal   Swell to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Crescendo Pedal   Choir to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Sforzando (thumb & toe)    
     
Accessories
    Wind Indicator
    Crescendo Indicator
    Sforzando Indicator
               
Wicks Organ Company
Highland, Ill. – Opus 3370 (1953)
Direct-Electric ® action
Electric combination action
3 manuals, 46 stops, 33 ranks


In 1953, the Wicks Organ Company rebuilt the Odell Organ and enlarged it to 33 ranks. A new three-manual stop-key console was installed, and provision was made for additional ranks to be added at a future date. Most of the reworked pipework was original to the Odell Organ, but portions of some ranks were replaced. A set of Mayland Chimes, given as a memorial to Maximilian Hollenberg by his wife Martha, was installed. The dedicatory recital was given on November 22, 1953 by Pastor George Wehmeyer and the choirs of Immanuel Church.

As this was Wicks' first large installation in Manhattan, a window and light were included in the side of the Great windchest so that their patented Direct-Electric ® Action could be viewed. Many prospective clients were brought to Immanuel to hear the organ and see its mechanism in action.

During the major renovation of the church in 1969-1970, the rear gallery was enlarged and the console moved from the front of the organ case to its present detached position.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Open Diapason
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
8
  Open Diapason
61
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Doppelflote
61
    Mixture IV ranks
244
8
  Gamba
61
   
Chimes (Mayland)
25 tubes
4
  Octave
61
 
  Great to Great 16'  
4
  Harmonic Flute
61
    Great to Great 4'  
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Lieblichbourdon [unit]
85
    Cornet III ranks
183
8
  Diapason
73
16
  Contra Fagotto [unit]
85
8
  Flute
8
  Oboe
8
  Salicional
73
8
  Cornopean [unit]
85
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
61
4
  Clarion
4
  Hohl Flute [unit]
73
    Tremolo  
4
  Principal
73
 
  Swell to Swell 16'  
2 2/3
  Nazard
 
  Swell Unison Off  
2
  Flautino
    Swell to Swell 4'  
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Geigen Diapason
73
2
  Piccolo
8
  Concert Flute
73
1 3/5
  Tierce
8
  Dulciana
73
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
61
    Tremolo  
4
  Fugara
73
 
  Choir to Choir 16'  
4
  Rohr Flute [unit]
73
 
  Choir Unison Off  
2 2/3
  Nazard
    Choir to Choir 4'  
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Double Open Diapason
32
8
  Bourdon
16
  Open Diapason
GT
8
  Flauto Dolce
SW
16
  Bourdon [unit]
44
8
  'Cello
16
  Lieblichbourdon
SW
4
  Choral Bass [16' Open Diap.]
GT
16
  Violone [unit, in Choir]
44
16
  Contra Fagotto
SW
10 2/3
  Quint [Lieblichbourdon]
8
  Cornopean
SW
8
  Octave [16' Open Diap.]
GT
       
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-0 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-0 (thumb)
Choir Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-0 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-0 (thumb)
General Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb & toe)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Setter (thumb)
               
Pedal Movements
    Great Expression Pedal   Great to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Swell Expression Pedal   Swell to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Choir Expression Pedal   Choir to Pedal Revers. (thumb & toe)
    Crescendo Pedal   Sforzando (thumb & toe)
         
Accessories
    Wind Indicator
    Crescendo Indicator
    Sforzando Indicator
               
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 330 (1895); inst. (1907)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 34 stops, 34 ranks


The second organ at Immanuel Lutheran Church was built in 1895 by J.H. & C.S. Odell of New York City for the 500-seat chapel of the Presbyterian Building at 156 Fifth Avenue (20th Street). Immanuel purchased the organ in 1907, and it was then moved and installed by the Hutchings-Votey Organ Company of Boston.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes
16
  Double Open Diapason
58
4
  Flute Harmonique
58
8
  Open Diapason
58
2 2/3
  Octave Quint
58
8
  Viola da Gamba
58
2
  Super Octave
58
8
  Doppel Flöte
58
    Mixture IV ranks
222
4
  Octave
58
8
  Trumpet
58
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 58 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
58
2
  Flautina
58
8
  Open Diapason
58
    Cornet III ranks
183
8
  Salicional
58
8
  Cornopean
58
8
  Vox Celestis [TC]
42
8
  Oboe
58
8
  Clarinet Flute
58
8
  Vox Humana
58
4
  Violina
58
    Tremulant  
4
  Hohl Flöte
58
 
     
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Geigen Principal
58
4
  Rohr Flöte
58
8
  Keraulophon
58
4
  Fugara
58
8
  Dolce d'Amour
58
2
  Piccolo
58
8
  Concert Flute
58
8
  Clarinet
58
               
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Open Diapason
30
16
  Violone
30
16
  Bourdon
30
8
  Violoncello
30
               
Couplers
    Swell to Great   Great to Pedal
    Choir to Great   Swell to Pedal
    Swell to Choir   Choir to Pedal
               
Combinations
    16 thumb pistons          
             

Hilborne L. Roosevelt
New York City – Opus 340 (1886)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 28 registers, 15 stops, 17 ranks


The original organ in the present church was built in 1886 by Hilborne L. Roosevelt of New York City. This was a Roosevelt "Style Thirty" organ with the addition of a Great to Pedal Reversible coupler. In the Inaugural Recital programme we read Roosevelt's description of the organ, in part:

"The Organ stands in the gallery opposite the altar and is divided in two parts, the Pedal Organ being located at the right of the large window and the remaining departments, including the key-boards, at the left.

"The cases of the two parts are alike, the Gothic detail of the design harmonizing admirably with the surroundings and presenting a rich and imposing appearance. They are made of ash, finely finished, with upper sections composed solely of front pipes, excepting the posts and bands which hold them in place, the former being tastefully grouped and handsomely decorated. In appearance the dimensions of each division are width 13', depth 6' 9" and height 22', though the keyboards and organist's seat projects 3' 8" and that part of the organ extends 3' back of the wall, giving a body depth of 9' 9" or a total depth of 13' 4"."
At eight o'clock on Tuesday evening, November 23, 1886, the new organ was presented in an Inaugural Recital by Mr. Frank Taft (Clinton Avenue Congregation Church, Brooklyn), organist, assisted by Miss H. Kammerer, Mr. J. Orth, and Mr. P.J. Steiner (vocalists), and the Immanuel Choir. The programme included vocal arias, anthems and organ solos, ending with the congregation invited to join in singing "Old Hundred" by Franze.

Following are the specifications taken from the Inaugural Recital programme. The Roosevelt stoplist was also recorded in an "Organ Scrapbook" by Rev. F.R. Webber (1887-1963), a Lutheran pastor and organ historian. Webber noted that "the organ was moved about the year 1930 to St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Brooklyn, and was succeeded at Immanuel, New York, by a three manual Odell."
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason
58
4
  Gemshorn
58
8
  Salicional *
46
2 2/3
  Octave Quint
58
8
  Doppel Flöte
58
2
  Flageolet
58
           
* lowest 8ve grooved to Doppel Flöte
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon (split knob, treble & bass)
58
4
  Flute Harmonique
58
8
  Violin Diapason
58
    Cornet, 3 ranks
174
8
  Dolce **
46
8
  Oboe
58
8
  Stopped Diapason
58
** lowest 8ve grooved to Stopped Diapason
               
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Bourdon
27
       
8
  Violoncello
27
       
               
Couplers ("On" and "Off" thumb pistons, placed beneath the Great keyboard, except in the case of the Swell to Pedal coupler which is placed under the Swell manual.)
    Swell to Great   Swell to Pedal
    Swell to Great Octaves   Great to Pedal
               
Mechanical Accessories
    Swell Tremulant   Eclipse Wind Indicator
    Bellows Signal    
               
Pedal Movements
    Great Organ Forte Pedal   Swell Organ Piano Pedal †
    Great Organ Piano Pedal †   Great to Pedal Reversible Coupler
    Swell Organ Forte Pedal   Balanced Swell Pedal
       
double acting
               
Sources:
     "A Short History of the Organ at Immanuel Lutheran Church on the occasion of the Dedication of the Organ, June 4, 1989". Courtesy of Charles Schramm, Jr., Organist/Director of Music at Immanuel Lutheran Church for over 30 years until his retirement to Maine in 2000. Additional information from Karen Rombey of Immanuel Church.
     The Diapason (Sep. 1953). Specifications of Wicks organ, Op. 3370 (1953). Courtesy Jeff Scofield.
     Dunlap, David W. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Haberstroh, Richard. The German Churches of Metropolitan New York: A Research Guide. New York: The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society, 2000.
     Immanuel Lutheran Church web site: http://www.immanuelnyc.org
     Inaugural Recital programme (Nov. 23, 1886) of Hilborne L. Roosevelt organ, Op. 340 (1886). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     Ogasapian, John. Organ Building in New York City: 1700-1900. Braintree: The Organ Literature Foundation, 1977. Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell organ, Op. 330 (1895).
     Webber, F.R. "Organ scrapbook" at Organ Historical Society Archives, Princeton, N.J. Specifications of Hilborne L. Roosevelt organ, Op. 340 (1886). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Wicks Organ Company. Factory Specifications (Apr. 14, 1953) of Wicks Organ, Op. 3307 (1953). Courtesy Jeff Scofield.

Illustrations:
     Lawson, Steven E. Exterior.
     Rust, John. Interior and 1989 organ console.