Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City
 

Click on images to enlarge

Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church

921 Madison Avenue at 73rd Street
New York, N.Y. 10021
http://www.mapc.com


Organ Specifications:
921 Madison Avenue at 73rd Street (since 1899):
III/73 Casavant Frères, Op. 2660 (1961), rev. (2000); reb. (2011)
III/70 Casavant Frères, Op. 2660 (1961)
IV/73 Casavant Frères, Op. 1000 (1923)
III/35 Hook & Hastings Co., Op. 1880 (1900)
II/4 Schantz Organ Co., Op. 506 (1961); inst. (1978) – Chapel
506 Madison Avenue at 53rd Street (1872-1899):
II/29 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 116 (1872)
55th Street between Lexington and Third Aves. (1864-1872):
• Henry Erben (1864)
Avenue C, corner of 4th Street (1842-1864):
• I/8 George Jardine & Son (1857)
4th Street (1839-1842):
• unknown


The congregation known today as Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church can trace its roots to the organization in 1834 of the Manhattan Island Presbyterian Church, located on Fourth Street near the Lower East Side shipyards and also called the Church in the Swamp. This struggling congregation expired a few years later, but in 1838 some of its erstwhile members united with a contingent from the old Seventh Presbyterian Church to form the Eleventh Presbyterian Church. It was formally organized by the Third Presbytery of New York on May 13, 1839, and consisted of 89 members. For three years the place of worship was edifice of the former Manhattan Island Church. A new church was erected on the corner of Avenue C and Fourth Street, and it was dedicated in October 1842. Old church records indicate some of the tribulations it survived. A controversy was reported in the Mexican War era over the introduction of organ music, which some opposed as a dangerous theatrical diversion. During the Civil War a member was reportedly tried by Session for reading Sunday newspapers and for objecting to legal penalties for not attending church services (that case was dismissed with admonition).

In 1864, the now vigorous Eleventh Presbyterian Church moved northward to 55th Street between Lexington and Third Avenues, where it merged with the Memorial Presbyterian Church. At this time, there were two Presbyterian bodies: the Old School and the New School. In 1869, the two General Assemblies united to the great joy of all Presbyterians in the country. In commemoration of this notable event, the Rev. Dr. Charles S. Robinson, pastor of the Eleventh Church, led his congregation to erect a memorial temple in which to worship in the future.

Memorial Presbyterian Church - New York City (Frank Leslie's Sunday Magazine, 1882)  
Madison Avenue & 53rd Street  
The church on 55th Street was sold, and a new edifice, to be known as "The Presbyterian Memorial Church," was built on the southwest corner of Madison Avenue and 53rd Street. Designed by D. & J. Jardine in a "round Gothic" style, the new church and lecture room occupied a site measuring 125 feet fronting Madison Avenue by 120 feet along the street. Built entirely of Belleville and Dorchester stone at a cost of $310,000, the church was notable for its tower and spire that rose 220 above the sidewalk. The interior of the church had galleries on three sides and it was decorated in dark rich tints with a profusion of gilding. All woodwork and the paneling about the pulpit was of solid black walnut, and the organ loft was immediately behind the pulpit. Lighting of the gas jets was accomplished simultaneously by a new and improved process. The carpeting was of light Brussels in a yellowish cast, and the cushions of the seats were in crimson. Opening services were held on December 22, 1872, and on Sunday, January 26, 1873, the church was dedicated. In 1883, the society was officially renamed "Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church," after two previous societies by that name had gone out of existence.

  Phillips Presbyterian Church - New York City
  Phillips Presbyterian Church
One more move lay in store. In 1899, the congregation united with the Phillips Presbyterian Church, which had evolved from the downtown Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church that had been organized in 1844. The Phillips Church, named in honor of the Rev. William Wirt Phillips, had been established in 1858 under the leadership of James Lenox, a distinguished Presbyterian who had donated the land in the area now known as Lenox Hill. At the time of the merger, the Phillips Church was worshiping in a Victorian Gothic building designed by R. H. Robertson and erected in 1873 on the northeast corner of Madison Avenue and 73rd Street. The combined congregation was to take the name of Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, and plans were made for a new sanctuary on the site of the old, retaining a portion of the Phillips building for meeting rooms, offices, and choir rehearsals. This annex, known at the Phillips Chapel, is extant on 73rd Street.

The present Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church was designed in 1899 by James E. Ware & Son and opened the following year. Ware & Son's plans called for a flat limestone exterior, a steeply pitched roof, and a corner tower that was crowned with rounded pinnacles and a cone-shaped steeple. Inside, the spacious sanctuary had a raked main floor with galleries on three sides. Natural illuminatation was provided by three divided windows and dormers on the south, and a large window over the west gallery. In 1916, the multi-storied church house was built on Madison Avenue, providing space for the large Sunday School, numerous meeting rooms and administrative offices, a gymnasium, swimming pool and bowling alley. Both the church house and sanctuary were refurbished in 1961 at a cost of $1 million. At that time, the Madison Avenue facade was altered when a single carved portal replaced three arched doorways that had been adorned with finials. The chancel was enlarged and provided with movable choir pews and pulpit so that the area could be used as a stage, and a large gilded cross was hung in front of a new wood-and-fiberglass reredos that concealed pipes of the new Casavant organ. In 1999-2000, the sanctuary was renovated again when a new marble floor was installed in a reconfigured chancel, the main floor was leveled, the narthex was enlarged, new lighting installed, and architectural and decorative features were uncovered and restored.
           
  Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
   
Casavant Frères, Limitée
St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada – Opus 2660 (1961); reb. 2011
Electro-pneumatic key action
Solid-state stop and combination action
Console and additions by Schantz Organ Company (2000)
3 manuals, 70 stops, 73 ranks



The organ in Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church was originally built in 1961 by Casavant Frères of St. Hyacinthe, Québec. In 1968, the Swell chorus reeds (16' Petite Bombarde, 8' Trompette and 4' Clairon) were replaced by M.P. Möller. In conjunction with a major renovation of the sanctuary in 2000, the Schantz Organ Company of Orrville, Ohio was contracted to install three additional pipe ranks in front of the oak screen, several digital stops, a solid-state combination action, and a new three-manual drawknob console. The console is movable but is normally positioned in a lift-equipped pit behind the communion table.

Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)

 
From 2010-11 the organ was thoroughly reconditioned by Casavant Frères, its original builder. All of the removable mechanisms and nearly 1,000 pipes were returned to the Casavant workshop for restoration, and all reed pipes were repaired, retongued and revoiced. The remaining 3,000 pipes were cleaned, repaired and revoiced onsite. At this time Casavant added two new stops: an 8' Clarinette rank in the Choir division, replacing the original 4' Chalumeau à Cheminée; and Clochettes (Cymbelstern).

The organ was rededicated in two concerts, beginning on February 5, 2012, with a solo recital by Dr. Andrew E. Henderson, Director of Music & Organist, followed on February 26 by a Casavant Organ 50th Birthday Concert featuring the Saint Andrew Chorale & Orchestra, with Andrew Henderson, Mary Huff & John Weaver, organists & conductors.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Bourdon * °
digital
2 2/3
  Quint
61
16
  Quintaton
61
2
  Flûte à bec
61
8
  Open Diapason *
61
1 3/5
  Tierce #
57
8
  Montre
61
1 1/3
  Fourniture IV ranks
244
8
  Bourdon
61
2/3
  Cymbale IV ranks
244
8
  Cor de chamois
61
  Unison Off  
4
  Prestant
61
 
 
MIDI
 
4
  Flûte à cheminée
61
   
# original 2' Doublette moved up
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Principal
68
8
  Trompette +
68
8
  Flûte à cheminée
68
8
  Hautbois
68
8
  Gambe
68
8
  Voix humaine
68
8
  Voix céleste
68
4
  Clairon +
68
4
  Octave
68
    Tremblant  
4
  Flûte ouverte
68
    Unison Off  
2
  Doublette
61
 
  Swell 4'  
1 1/3
  Larigot
61
 
 
Swell 16'
 
2
  Plein jeu V ranks
305
   
MIDI
 
16
  Petite Bombarde +
68
   
+ replaced by M.P. Möller in 1968
 
     
 
     
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Dulciane
68
2
  Flûte de bois
61
8
  Principal * [unenclosed]
61
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
8
  Flûte harmonique
68
1
  Cymbale IV ranks
244
8
  Flûte bouchée
68
16
  Basson
68
8
  Viole
68
8
  Cor anglais
68
8
  Viole céleste
68
8
  Clarinette ++
68
8
  Conteur
68
    Tremblant  
8
  Conteur céleste
68
8
  Bombarde [unenclosed]
68
4
  Principal
68
    Unison Off  
4
  Flûte d'accouplement
68
 
  Choir 4'  
2 2/3
  Nazard
61
    Choir 16'  
2
  Octave
61
    MIDI  
 
     
++ new (2011); replaced 4' Chalumeau à Cheminée
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Open Wood * °
digital
4
  Dulciane
CH
32
  Soubasse [unit]
44
2 2/3
  Fourniture IV ranks
128
16
  Open Wood * °
digital
32
  Bombardon
32
16
  Open Diapason *
32
16
  Bombarde
32
16
  Contrebasse
32
16
  Petite Bombarde
SW
16
  Soubasse [ext.]
16
  Basson
CH
16
  Bourdon * °
GT
8
  Trompette
32
16
  Quintaton
GT
8
  Basson
CH
16
  Dulciane
CH
4
  Chalumeau
32
8
  Principal
32
4
  Basson
CH
8
  Flûte couverte
32
    MIDI  
8
  Dulciane
CH
 
Clochettes (Cymbelstern, new 2011)
4
  Octave
32
   
* added by Schantz Organs (2000)
4
  Cor de nuit
32
   
° Walker digital ranks by Schantz (2000)
             
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8'       Pedal to Great 8'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'       Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8', 4'       Great to Choir 8'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'       Choir to Swell 8'
    Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'        
             
Reversibles
    Swell to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Swell to Choir (thumb)
    Great to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Full Organ (thumb & toe)
    Choir to Pedal (thumb & toe)   32' Bombardon (toe)
    Choir to Swell (thumb)   32' Soubasse(toe)
    Swell to Great (thumb)   32' Open Wood (toe)
    Choir to Great (thumb)    
             
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Choir Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (toe)
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 (thumb & toe)
Entire Organ Pistons 11-12-13-14 (thumb only)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Setter (thumb)
             
Balanced Pedals
    Swell Expression    
    Choir Expression    
    Crescendo    
             
Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
 
Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
 
Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
         
  Console - Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1960) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Jeff Scofield)
  Casavant Frères Console (1961)
Casavant Frères, Limitée
St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada – Opus 2660 (1961)
Electro-pneumatic key action
3 manuals, 63 stops, 70 ranks




In 1961, an entirely new organ was built by Casavant Frères of Canada, as designed by Lawrence Phelps of Casavant in conjunction with Dr. George B. Markey, organist and choir director, and Dr. Robert Baker, consultant. Pipes of the new organ were installed behind a large oak screen across the front of the sanctuary, and the console was placed to the right of the chancel. Built at a cost of $86, 240, the organ was dedicated in a service on March 4, 1962 that featured Dr. Markey as organist, with an orchestra comprised of students from The Juilliard School, and the church choir. Dr. Seth Bingham, Organist Emeritus, conducted the premiere of his composition, "Sing to the Lord a New Song," for organ and choir.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Quintaton
61
2
  Flute à bec
61
8
  Montre
61
1 1/3
  Fourniture IV ranks
244
8
  Bourdon
61
2/3
  Cymbale IV ranks
244
8
  Cor de chamois
61
  Muet
4
  Prestant
61
 
Cloches
preparation
4
  Flûte à cheminée
61
8
  Harpe
CH
2 2/3
  Quinte
61
4
  Harpe
CH
2
  Doublette
61
       
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Principal
68
8
  Trompette *
68
8
  Gambe
68
8
  Hautbois
68
8
  Viole céleste
68
8
  Voix humaine
68
8
  Flûte à cheminée
68
4
  Clairon *
68
4
  Octave
68
  Tremblant
4
  Flûte ouverte
68
    Muet  
2
  Doublette
61
 
  Swell 4'  
1 1/3
  Larigot
61
 
  Swell 16'  
2
  Plein jeu V ranks
305
    Harpe
CH
16
  Petite Bombarde *
68
   
* replaced by M.P. Möller in 1968
 
     
 
 
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Dulciane
68
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
8
  Viole
68
1
  Cymbale IV ranks
244
8
  Viole céleste
68
16
  Basson [L/2]
68
8
  Flûte harmonique
68
8
  Cor Anglais
68
8
  Flûte bouchée
68
4
  Chalumeau à cheminée
68
8
  Conteur
68
    Tremblant  
8
  Conteur céleste
68
    Muet  
4
  Principal
68
   
Choir 4'
 
4
  Flûte d'accomplement
68
    Choir 16'  
2 2/3
  Nazard
68
8
 
Harpe
preparation
2
  Octave
61
4
 
Harpe
preparation
2
  Flûte des bois
61
8
  Bombarde [unenclosed]
68
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Soubasse [unit]
44
2 2/3
  Fourniture IV ranks
128
16
  Contrebasse
32
32
  Bombardon (L/2)
32
16
  Soubasse
16
  Bombarde
32
16
  Quintaton
GT
16
  Petite Bombarde
SW
16
  Dulciane
CH
16
  Basson
CH
8
  Principal
32
8
  Trompette
32
8
  Flûte couverte
32
8
  Basson
CH
8
  Dulciane
CH
4
  Chalumeau
32
4
  Octave
32
4
  Basson
CH
4
  Cor de nuit
32
    Cloches
GT
4
  Dulciane
CH
       
             
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8'       Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'       Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8', 4'       Choir to Swell 8'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'       Great to Choir 8'
             
Reversibles
    Great to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Full Organ (thumb & toe)
    Swell to Pedal (thumb & toe)   32' Soubasse (toe)
    Choir to Pedal (thumb & toe)   32' Bombardon (toe)
    Swell to Great (thumb)   32' stops off (thumb)
    Choir to Great (thumb)   Man. 16' off (thumb)
    Swell to Choir (thumb)   Man. 16' couplers off (thumb)
             
Adjustable Combination Pistons
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb) +
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb) +
Choir Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb) +
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (toe)
Full Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 (thumb & toe)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Adjuster (thumb)
 
+ 2nd touch drawing corresponding Pedal piston
Balanced Pedals
    Swell Expression    
    Choir Expression    
    Crescendo    
         
Indicator Lights
    32' cutout   Crescendo
    16' Manual cutout   Full Organ
    16' Coupler cutout   Wind
           
  Sanctuary (c.1939) of Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City
  Sanctuary Interior (c.1939)
   
Casavant Frères, Limitée
St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada – Opus 1000 (1923)
Electro-pneumatic action
4 manuals, 84 stops, 73 ranks



Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1962) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City  





In 1923, Casavant Frères of St. Hyacinthe, Québec, was contracted to rebuild and enlarge the 1900 Hook & Hastings organ, to the specifications of Seth Bingham (1882-1972), who was organist and choirmaster from 1913 until his retirement in 1951. Casavant installed the organ behind the existing Hook & Hastings facade and two new screens at either side. The detached, four-manual drawknob console was located behind the choir stalls on the right side of the chancel.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Open Diapason
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
8
  Diapason I *
61
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Diapason II
61
1 1/7
  Septième *
61
8
  Doppel Flute
61
  Mixture III ranks
183
8
  Traverse Flute *
61
8
  Trumpet
61
8
  Dolce *
61
4
  Clarion *
61
4
  Octave
61
 
  Chimes
EC
4
  Harmonic Flute
61
    Celesta
CH
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Contra Gamba *
73
2 2/3
  Nazard *
73
8
  Diapason I *
73
2
  Flautina *
61
8
  Diapason II
73
  Dolce Cornet IV ranks *
292
8
  Gedeckt
73
16
  Double Trumpet *
73
8
  Flute Céleste *
73
8
  Cornopean
73
8
  Erzähler *
73
8
  Oboe
73
8
  Salicional
73
4
  Clarion *
73
8
  Voix Céleste
73
8
  Vox Humana
73
8
  Aeoline
73
 
  Chimes
EC
4
  Violina
73
    Celesta
CH
4
  Flute
73
    Tremulant  
 
     
 
     
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
4
  Flute d'Amour
73
16
  Contra Dolce
73
2
  Piccolo *
61
8
  Diapason *
73
1 3/5
  Tierce *
73
8
  Melodia
73
  Mixture III ranks
219
8
  Gedeckt
73
8
  Trumpet *
73
8
  Dulciana
73
8
  Cor Anglais
73
8
  Unda Maris *
73
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  Geigen
73
 
Celesta
preparation
8
  Geigen Celeste
73
  Celesta Sub
8
  Quintadena *
73
 
  Chimes
EC
4
  Fugara
73
    Tremulant  
               
Solo Organ (Manual IV) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Stentorphone *
73
8
  Tuba Mirabilis *
73
8
  Gross Flute *
73
8
  Musette *
73
8
  Gamba *
73
    Chimes
EC
8
  Gamba Celeste *
73
    Celesta
CH
8
  Gemshorn *
73
    Tremulant  
4
  Hohlpfeife *
73
       
               
Echo Organ – 61 notes, enclosed (console preparation)
8
  Erzähler
(73)
8
  Cromorne
(73)
8
  Cor de Nuit
(73)
8
  Vox Humana
(73)
8
  Vox Angelica
(73)
   
Chimes
(25 tubes)
4
  Fern Flute
(73)
    Tremulant  
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Contra Bourdon [unit]
56
8
  Cello
32
16
  Open Diapason [unit]
44
8
  Gedeckt [ext.]
16
  Bourdon [ext.]
4
  Flute *
32
16
  Lieblich *
32
32
 
Bombarde
1-12 preparation
16
  Violone *
32
16
  Trombone [unit] *
44
16
  Contra Gamba
SW
16
  Double Trumpet
SW
16
  Contra Dolce
CH
8
  Tromba [ext.] *
10 2/3
  Quint [Bourdon]
  Chimes
EC
8
  Bass Flute [ext. Op. Diap.]
     
           
* new ranks by Casavant in 1923
Couplers
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Solo 8'
    Great to Pedal 8'   Choir to Solo 8'
    Choir to Pedal 8', 4'   Great to Solo 8'
    Solo to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell 16', 4'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'   Choir 16', 4'
    Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'   Solo 16', 4'
    Solo to Great 16', 8', 4'   Echo to Pedal 8'
    Swell to Choir 8'   Echo to Solo 16', 8', 4'
    Solo to Choir 8'   Echo On Solo Off
    Solo to Swell 8'    
             
Reversible Pistons
    Solo to Pedal   Strings
    Swell to Pedal   Mixtures
    Great to Pedal   Reeds
    Choir to Pedal   Sforzando
            All Boxes to Swell Pedal (hand & foot)
             
Adjustable Combination Pistons
   
Solo & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-0-Ped0 (hand; 1-2 dup. by foot)
Swell & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-0-Ped0 (hand; 1-2-3 dup. by foot)
Great & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-0-Ped0 (hand; 1-2-3 dup. by foot)
Choir & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-0-Ped0 (hand; 1-2 dup. by foot)
Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-0 (hand; 1-2 dup. by foot)
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-Ped0 (hand; 1-2-3-4 dup. by foot)
Echo Pistons 1-2-0 (hand)
  Coupler Cancel (hand)
  General Release (manuals only)
     
Balanced Expression Pedals
    Solo with Echo    
    Choir    
    Swell    
    Crescendo    
     
Accessories
    Electric action
    Detached Console
    Remote starter for motor and generator, to be operated with a key
           
  Photo showing the Hook & Hastings organ, Op. 1880 (1900) at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: The Archives of MAPC)
  Photo from Dedication Programme (1900)
Hook & Hastings Co.
Boston, Mass. – Opus 1880 (1900)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 35 stops, 39 ranks


The original organ in the present church was built in 1900 by Hook & Hastings of Boston. From the dedication programme (Monday evening, Nov. 25, at 8 o'clock) we read this description of the organ:
"The beautiful exterior is designed by the Church Architect, and comprises righly wrought and moulded oak casing, supporting various groups of large display pipes finished in gold leaf, the whole forming a most attractive feature as seen fillin the gallery above and behind the pulpit; the organist with a detached console being placed with the singers at one side of the organ."
Performing in the programme were Miss Henriette D. Judd, Organist and Choir Leader, assisted by Miss Florence de Vere Boese, Soprano, and Mrs. M. T. Corcoran, Contralto.


Programme.
1.
Sonata in D Minor,
[not listed]
I. Allegro Vivace.
    II. Adagio.
       III. Allegro con brio.
2.
Gavotte Moderne,
Lemare
3.
Adagio and Finale,
Spohr
4.
Contralto Solo,—"Great is Jehovah,"
Schubert
Mrs. Josephine Corcoran.
5.
a  Andante Cantabile,
Rousseau
b  Capriccio,
Lemaigre
c  Concert Piece in B Minor,
Parker
6.
Theme and Variations in A Major,
Hesse
7.
Soprano Solo,—"O had I Jubal's Lyre,"
Handel
Miss Florence De Vere Boese.
8.
Coronation March,
Svendsen
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Open Diapason
61
4
  Octave
61
8
  Open Diapason
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
8
  Viola da Gamba
61
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Gross Floete
61
  Mixture, 3 ranks
183
4
  Flute Harmonique
61
8
  Trumpet
61
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon (divided)
61
4
  Flauto Traverso
61
8
  Open Diapason
61
4
  Violina
61
8
  Salicional
61
  Dolce Cornet, 3 ranks
183
8
  Gedeckt
61
8
  Cornopean
61
8
  Æoline
61
8
  Oboe (with Bassoon)
61
8
  Voix Celeste
61
8
  Vox Humana
61
 
     
 
     
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Geigen Principal
61
4
  Flute d'Amour
61
8
  Dulciana
61
4
  Fugara
61
8
  Melodia
61
8
  Clarinet
61
               
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Open Diapason
30
8
  Flute
30
16
  Bourdon
30
8
  Gedeckt
30
16
  Dulciana
30
8
  Violoncello
30
10 2/3
  Quint
30
       
               
Couplers
    Swell to Great, Unison   Great to Swell, Unison
    Choir to Great, Unison   Swell to Choir, Unison
    Choir to Great, Sub Octaves   Great to Pedal, Unison
    Swell to Swell, Super Octaves   Swell to Pedal, Unison
    Swell to Swell, Sub Octaves   Choir to Pedal, Unison
               
Mechanical Accessories
    Crescendo Indicator   Wind Indicator
    Blower's Signal    
               
Pedal and Combination Movements
    Grand Crescendo Pedal – Full Organ   Forte Combination, Choir
    Forte Combination, Great   Piano Combination, Choir
    Mezzo Combination, Great   Reversible Pedal, from Sw. to Gr.
    Piano Combination, Great   Swell Tremolo
    Forte Combination, Swell   Balanced Swell Pedal
    Mezzo Combination, Swell   Electric Motor
    Piano Combination, Swell    
           
  Schantz Organ in Dana Chapel at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)
Organ in Dana Chapel:

Schantz Organ Company
Orrville, Ohio – Opus 506 (1961); inst. (1978)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 23 stops, 4 ranks







The Schantz organ in Dana Chapel was originally built in 1961 for the Lower Church of the Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel in Newark, N.J. In 1978, the organ was purchased by Madison Avenue Presbyterian, and was installed in September 1978 by Ronald C. Bishop, the area Schantz representative. This instrument replaced an Allen electronic organ from the 1960s, which replaced a Hammond electronic dating from the renovation of the chapel in 1949.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Diapason  
2 2/3
  Spitznasat  
8
  Gedeckt  
2
  Super Octave  
8
  Spitzflöte  
8
  Trompette  
4
  Octave  
4
  Clairon  
4
  Flute          
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Gedeckt  
2 2/3
  Nazard  
8
  Spitzflöte  
2
  Spitzflöte  
4
  Octave  
8
  Trompette  
4
  Spitzflöte  
4
  Clairon  
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes, enclosed
16
  Lieblich Gedeckt  
4
  Spitzflöte  
8
  Principal  
4
  Super Octave  
8
  Gedeckt  
8
  Trompette  
               
Stop Analysis
     
Pipes
16
  Gedeckt
97
8
  Diapason
85
8
  Spitzflöte
85
8
  Trompette
    73
   
Total
340
           
Organ in Presbyterian Memorial Church, 506 Madison Avenue at 53rd Street:

J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 116 (1872)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 26 stops, 29 ranks


The organ in the new Presbyterian Memorial Church was built in 1872 by J.H. & C.S. Odell of New York City. Odell provided 26 stops that controlled 29 ranks, and there was a 34-note set of chimes. The case was of pine, painted and grained, and the facade pipes were decorated in various colors. The handwritten contract stated that the organ would be ready on or before October 1, 1872.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes
16
  Double Open Diapason [TC]
46
4
  Principal
58
16
  Bourdon Bass
12
3
  Twelfth
58
8
  Open Diapason
58
2
  Fifteenth
58
8
  Keraulophon
58
    Sesquialtra, 3 ranks
174
8
  Dulce (grooved bass)
58
8
  Trumpet
58
8
  Clarionet Fl. & St. Diap. bass
58
8
  Clarionet [TC]
46
4
  Harmonic Flute
58
       
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon Bass
12
2
  Fifteenth
58
16
  Double Diapason [TC]
46
    Cornet, 2 ranks
116
8
  Open Diapason
58
8
  Cornopean [TC]
46
8
  Dulciana (grooved bass)
58
8
  Vox Humana [TC]
46
8
  Stop Diapason
58
8
  Hautbois }
58
4
  Principal
58
8
  Bassoon }
4
  Flute á Cheminee [TC]
46
    Tremulant  
               
Pedal Organ – 25 notes
16
  Open Diapason
25
8
  Violoncello
25
16
  Bourdon
25
       
               
Couplers &c
    Swell to Great Unison   Bellows Signal
    Swell to Great Super Octave   Swell to Great Reversible
    Swell to Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Great to Pedal   Chimes – 34 notes
               
Patented Pneumatic Compositions to Great Organ
1.
  Full Great Organ
5.
  Keraulophon, Clarionet Flute
2.
  Full to Mixture
6.
  Clarionet Flute & Dulce
3.
  Full to Principal
7.
  Dulce
4.
  All of the eight foot stops
8.
  Flute Harmonic
           
Organ in Presbyterian Memorial Church, East 55th Street at Third Avenue:

Henry Erben
New York City (1864)
Mechanical action


Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Organ in Eleventh Presbyterian Church, Avenue C at 4th Street:

George Jardine & Son
New York City (1857)
Mechanical action
1 manual, 8 stops


The American Musical Directory of 1861 shows that the organ in this church had "1 bank keys, 8 stops, 1 octave pedals" and was "Built by Jardine & Son, in 1857." Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     American Musical Directory. New York: Thomas Hutchinson, 1861.
     The American Organist (Aug. 1962). Specifications of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1961).
     "The Busy Builders," The New York Times (Sep. 3, 1872).
     Deems, Charles Force. Frank Leslie's Sunday Magazine (July-Dec. 1882). New York: Frank Leslie's Publishing House, 1882.
     Farnam, Lynnwood. "Organ Notebook" with specification of Hook & Hastings Organ, Op. 1880 (1900). John de Lancie Library, The Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia; Sally Branca, Archivist. Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Henderson, Andrew E. Provenance of Schantz organ, Op. 506 (1961) in Dana Chapel.
     Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church web site: http://www.mapc.com
     "Memorial Church. Opening Services at the New Presbyterian Memorial Church, in Madison-Avenue–A Magnificent Structure," The New York Times (Dec. 23, 1872).
     Organ Dedication program (Mar. 4, 1962) with final specifications of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1961). Pub. by the church. Courtesy Andrew C. Henderson.
     Organ Dedication program (Nov. 25, 1900) with specifications of Hook & Hastings organ, Op. 1880 (1900). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     "Renewed Edifice Opens to Worship," The New York Times (Nov. 13, 1961).
     Scheer, Stanley. Factory Specification of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 1000 (May 8, 1923).
     Scheer, Stanley. Factory Specification of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (Jan. 23, 1961).
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory contract for J.H. & C.S. Odell organ, Op. 116 (1872).
     Van Pelt, William T., compiler. The Hook Opus List, 1829-1916 in Facsimile. Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1991.

Illustrations:
     Bowen, Jonathan. Console of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 1000 (1923).
     Deems, Charles Force. Memorial Presbyterian Church. Frank Leslie's Sunday Magazine (July-Dec. 1882).
     Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church Archives. Photos of sanctuary interior (c.1939); Casavant Frères organ, Op. 1000 (1923); and Hook & Hastings organ, Op. 1880 (1900). Courtesy Andrew E. Henderson.
     Lawson, Steven E. Church interior; Schantz Organ Company console (2000); Dana Chapel.
     Organ Dedication program (Nov. 25, 1900). Facade of Hook & Hastings organ, Op. 1880 (1900). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     Scofield, Jeff. Original console of Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2660 (1961).