Riverside Baptist Church

West 92nd Street at Amsterdam Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10025


The Riverside Baptist Church was established in 1879 and held its first services in the old Charlton homestead at Eighty-sixth Street and the Boulevard (later Broadway). The congregation continued at this location until the old homestead became so dilipadated that they were forced to rent the chapel of the Methodist Church Home. On October 13, 1888, the cornerstone was laid for a new church building, described as having "pressed brick with trimmings of brown sandstone, somewhat after the Gothic style of architecture." The new church opened on February 10, 1889, although it was not yet completed due to financial constraints. Finally, on May 27, 1895, the new church was dedicated. In 1916, a merger took place between the Riverside Baptist Church and Central Baptist Church, after Central sold their building on West 42nd Street near Seventh Avenue. The new congregation was called Central Baptist Church, and a new building was erected in 1916.
               
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 266 (1889)
Mechanical action
1 manual, 4 stops, 4 ranks
               
Manual – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason
58
       
8
  Keraulophon
58
       
8
  Clarionet Flute
58
       
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 25 notes
16
  Bourdon
25
       
               
Couplers
    Pedal Coupler          
    Super Octave Coupler          
    Bellows Signal          
               
Sources:
     "The Cornerstone Laid," The New York Times (Oct. 14, 1888).
     "In Its New Church," The New York Times (Feb. 11, 1889).
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     "Plan New Baptist Church," The New York Times (Jan. 1, 1912).
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 266 (1889).
     "West Side Church Dedicated," The New York Times, May 28, 1895.