Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
(Episcopal)

Amsterdam Avenue at 112th Street
New York, N.Y. 10026
http://www.stjohndivine.org

Chapel of St. Ansgar


Organ Specifications:
II/18 Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Op. 251-A (1956); reb. (2011)
II/9 Ernest M. Skinner Company, Op. 251 (1916)

See also the Cathedral, St. James Chapel, and the Synod House.
           
The Chapel of St. Ansgar, originally named Huntington Chapel, is located near the Columbarium and Baptistery of the Cathedral. The chapel is dedicated to those of Scandinavian descent, and is named after the ninth century archbishop Ansgar, a Frenchman who made many missionary tours to Denmark and Sweden. Built in 1918, the chapel was designed by Henry Vaughan in the fourteenth century English Gothic style. Vaughan also designed the chapels of St. Boniface and St. James in the Cathedral, and was the original architect of Washington National Cathedral.
           
Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, Inc.
Boston, Mass. – Opus 251-A (1956); reb. (2011)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 20 stops, 18 ranks, 1,113 pipes


In 1956, the Aeolian-Skinner Company was contracted to rebuild the Ernest M. Skinner organs in the Great Choir, Potter Chapel and Huntington Chapel. The organ in Huntington (later renamed St. Ansgar) Chapel was enlarged to 18 ranks. After several decades of service the organ became unplayable.

In December 2001, the unfinished north transept was destroyed by fire, causing tremendous smoke damage to the entire cathedral. All of the organs in the cathedral were silenced until they could be removed, cleaned and restored. The organ in St. Angar Chapel was rebuilt in 2011 by Douglass Hunt, curator of the cathedral organs, and includes a new console by Harris Organs, Inc., of Whittier, Calif.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Rohrflöte
61
4
  Praestant
SW
8
  Viole de Gambe *
SW
4
  Koppelflöte
SW
8
  Gedeckt
SW
2
  Plein Jeu III ranks
183
4
  Principal
61
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
61
2
  Octavin
61
8
  Viole de Gambe
61
2 2/3
  Sesquialtera II ranks [TC]
98
8
  Gedeckt
61
1
  Scharf IV ranks
244
4
  Principal (orig. Praestant)
61
    Tremulant  
4
  Koppelflöte
61
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Quintaton [ext. SW Viole]
12
8
  Still Gedeckt *
SW
16
  Echo Lieblich
SW
4
  Choral Bass [ext.]
8
  Principal [unit]
44
       
           
* stops added (2011)
Couplers (tilting tablets)
    Great to Pedal   Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal   Swell 16', Unison Off, 4'
               
Adjustable Combinations SSOS, 16 levels)
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb & toe)
General Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb & toe)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Set (thumb)
  Set Lock (key switch)
               
Reversibles
    Great to Pedal (thumb & kick-pedal)   Full Organ (thumb & kick-pedal)
               
Indicators
    Wind (LED)   Full Organ (LED)
    Crescendo (LED)    
               
Balanced Shoe Movements
    Swell Expression      
    Crescendo      
           
Mechanicals
    Rolltop with lock
    Accessory drawer with lock (SSL CapLite controls)
    Bench with backrest and height adjustment (manual)
    Incandescent lighting for pedalboard, coupler rail and music rack
    Platform for console
           
Ernest M. Skinner Company
Boston, Mass. – Opus 251 (1916)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 16 stops, 9 ranks, 604 pipes


The original organ in Huntington Chapel was built by the Ernest M. Skinner Company of Boston. The Articles of an Agreement, dated March 28, 1916, show that the organ would have electro-pneumatic action and a movable two-manual drawknob console. Skinner indicated that the organ would be completed and installed on or before August 1, 1916. Total cost of the organ was $3,500.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Diapason
61
8
  Aeoline
SW
8
 
Erzahler
preparation
4
  Flute
SW
8
  Gedeckt
SW
8
  Flugel Horn
SW
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
73
4
  Flute
73
8
  Gedeckt
73
8
 
Flugel Horn
73
8
  Salicional
73
8
 
Vox Humana
preparation
8
  Aeoline
73
    Tremolo  
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
61
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  First Bourdon [unit]
44
8
  Octave [ext.]
16
  Second Bourdon
SW
8
  Gedeckt
SW
               
Couplers (tilting tablets)
    Great to Pedal     Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal     Swell 16', 4'
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2 (thumb)
  General Cancel (thumb)
  Set (thumb)
       
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Swell Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
           
Sources:
     Aeolian-Skinner Archives web site: http://aeolian-skinner.110mb.com/
     Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, pub. by the Cathedral League. New York: St. Bartholomew's Press, 1916.
     Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine web site: http://www.stjohndivine.org/
     Dolkart, Andrew S. and Matthew A. Postal. Guide to New York City Landmarks (Third Edition). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2004.
     Dunlap, David. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Hall, Edward Hagaman. A Guide to the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City of New York (Third Ed.). New York: The Laymen's Club of the Cathedral, 1922.
     Holden, Dorothy. The Life and Work of Ernest M. Skinner. Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1987.
     Kinzey, Allen. Specifications of Ernest M. Skinner organ, Op. 251 (1916). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Kinzey, Allen, and Sand Lawn, comps. E.M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List. New Rev. Ed. Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1997.
     "Stop, Open and Reed – a Periodical Presentation of Pipe Organ Progress". Boston: Skinner Organ Company, 1922-1927.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of Ernest M. Skinner organ, Op. 251 (1916).

Illustrations:
     Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine web site. Interior.