St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City
  Click on images to enlarge
Church of St. Monica
(Roman Catholic)

413 East 79th Street
New York, N.Y. 10021


Organ Specifications:
III/53 Timothy Fink & Company (2008)
III/33 Hall Organ Company, Op. 590 (c.1931)
• J.H. & C.S. Odell (c.1907)
I/5 Georg Westenfelder – Continuo
• II/19s Hilborne L. Roosevelt, Op. 105 (1883) – Lower Church


The Roman Catholic Parish of St. Monica was established in 1879 to serve Catholics living and working on the far east side of Manhattan. Until that time, Catholics in the area attended services at St. Lawrence O'Toole Church (later named St. Ignatius Loyola) on East 84th Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues. Father James J. Dougherty, St. Monica's first pastor, purchased an old feed store on East 78th Street and in six weeks had converted it into a church seating 250 people. Total cost of the land and church was $7,000.

In 1881, Father Dougherty bought the present property on East 79th Street, just east of First Avenue. Although the corner lot was then available, it is thought that Father Dougherty feared that the noise from traffic along First Avenue would disrupt church services. Later that year, the cornerstone was laid for a new church, and in 1883 the Lower Church was completed and dedicated.

St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City  
On May 7, 1905, the cornerstone for the present church was laid, and construction began around and above the original church. Designed by Schickel & Ditmars, the new Gothic-style church of brick with limestone trim was finished in 1907. On August 18, 1953, a fire destroyed the roof of the church and caused considerable water damage to the interior. The church was quickly repaired and redecorated.
               
  Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City
Timothy Fink & Company, Inc.
Port Chester, N.Y. (2008)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 52 stops, 53 ranks




In the early 1990s, a reconstruction of the Hall organ was begun by Mann & Trupiano of Brooklyn, who provided new chests, some new pipework, and a new terraced drawknob console built by Harris Organs, Inc., of Whittier, Calif. In the new arrangement, the Choir is in the left tower, with the Swell in the right tower. The Great and Pedal divisions are behind the center case in front of the window. In front of the Pedal are the new Great and Pedal treble chests. After several starts and stops on the project, organbuilder Timothy Fink is now completing the organ as financial resources become available.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Double Open Diapason
61
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
16
  Lieblich Gedackt
SO
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Open Diapason
61
    Mixture IV ranks
244
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
    Acuta III ranks
183
8
  Harmonic Flute [1-12 St. Diap.]
49
8
  Trumpet
61
8
  Gedackt
SO
    Great Unison Off  
8
  Viola da Gamba
61
8
  Tuba Mirabilis
SO
4
  Octave
61
       
               
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
 
Quintaton
preparation
    Mixture V ranks
305
8
  Open Diapason
61
16
 
Bombarde
preparation
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
8
  Harmonic Trumpet
61
8
  Harmonic Flute [1-17 St. Diap.]
44
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Salicional
61
8
  Vox Humana
61
8
  Voix Celeste [TC]
49
4
  Harmonic Clarion
61
4
  Principal
61
    Swell Unison Off  
4
  Flute Traverso
61
    Tremulant  
2
  Flautino
61
8
  Tuba Mirabilis
SO
               
Solo Organ  (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Lieblich Gedackt
73
2
  Harmonic Piccolo
61
8
  Diapason
61
1 1/3
  Quint
61
8
  Concert Flute
61
1 3/5
  Tierce
61
8
  Dolce
61
8
  Clarinet
61
8
  Dolce Celeste [TC]
49
    Solo Unison Off  
4
  Octave
61
    Tremulant  
4
  Rohr Flute
61
8
  Tuba Mirabilis
61
2 2/3
  Nazard
61
       
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
 
Bourdon
preparation
8
  Gemshorn
32
16
  Grand Open Diapason
32
4
  Super Octave
32
16
  Open Diapason
GT
   
Mixture IV ranks
preparation
16
  Bourdon
32
32
 
Trombone
preparation
16
  Lieblich Gedackt
SO
16
  Trombone
32
8
  Octave
32
8
  Trumpet
32
8
  Echo Flute
SO
8
  Tuba Mirabilis
SO
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal     Solo to Swell
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'     Great to Swell
    Solo to Pedal 8', 4'     Swell to Solo
    Swell to Great 16', 8'     Great to Solo
    Solo to Great      
           
Adjustable Combinations
   
Swell Organ Pistons 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Great Organ Pistons 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Solo Organ Pistons 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 0-1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Entire Organ Pistons 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 (thumb & toe)
  Pistons 13-14-15-16 (thumb)
  Set (thumb)
           
Reversibles
    Great to Pedal (piston & foot paddle)   Tuba on Great (piston)
    Swell to Pedal (piston & foot paddle)   Tuba on Swell (piston)
    Solo to Pedal (piston & foot paddle)   Tuba on Solo (piston)
    Swell to Great (piston)   Tuba on Pedal (piston)
    Solo to Great (piston)   Reeds Off (piston & toe stud)
    Swell to Solo (piston)   Mixtures Off (piston & toe stud)
    32' Bourdon (foot paddle)   Sforzando 1 (piston & foot paddle)
    32' Trombone (foot paddle)   Sforzando 2 (piston & foot paddle)
           
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Solo Pedal      
    Balanced Swell Pedal      
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal      
           
Indicator Lights
    Reeds Off     Sforzando 1
    Mixtures Off     Sforzando 2
           
Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City   Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City   Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City
 
Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City  
Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008) at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City
                
 
St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City
  Hall Organ Company Ad (1931)
Hall Organ Company
West Haven, Conn. – Opus 590 (c.1931)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 35 stops, 33 ranks





About 1931, the Hall Organ Company rebuilt the organ at St. Monica's Church, providing new windchests, a new console and some pipe work, but also incorporating pipes from the previous organs built by J.H. & C.S. Odell and Hilborne L. Roosevelt. The Hall organ used electro-pneumatic chest action but had mechanical swell pedals. In the left tower were located the Great and Choir divisions, with the Swell on the right and the Pedal in the center.

On August 18, 1953, a fire broke out in the attic above the organ, and the organ suffered extensive water damage.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, partially enclosed with Choir
16
  Diapason *
61
8
  Doppel Flute
61
8
  Diapason *
61
4
  Octave *
61
8
  Gamba
61
4
  Harmonic Flute
61
8
  Gamba Celeste
61
8
  Trumpet
61
           
* unenclosed
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon
61
4
  Gambetta
61
8
  Diapason
61
    Mixture III ranks [12-15-17]
183
8
  Salicional
61
8
  Cornopean
61
8
  Aeoline
61
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Quintadena
61
8
  Vox Humana
61
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
    Tremulant  
4
  Flauto Traverso
61
       
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Viole d'Orchestre
61
4
  Rohr Flute
61
8
  Dolce
61
2
  Piccolo
61
8
  Unda Maris
61
8
  Clarinet
61
8
  Concert Flute
61
    Tremulant  
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Contra Bass [resultant]
16
  Bourdon [unit]
44
16
  First Diapason [unit]
44
8
  Diapason [ext. 1st Diap.]
16
  Second Diapason
GT
8
  Flute [ext. Bourdon]
16
  Violone
32
4
  Octave
32
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8'     Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'     Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8', 4'     Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Swell 16', 4'     Choir to Choir 16', 4'
               
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City (c.1907)
Unknown action


The original organ in the Upper Church was built by J.H. & C.S. Odell of New York City. However, as this organ does not appear on the Odell opus list, it is possible that the organ may have been a second-hand instrument. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
  Georg Westenfelder Continuo Organ at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)
Continuo Organ

Georg Westenfelder
Lintgen, Luxembourg (1960s)
Mechanical action
1 manual, 5 stops, 5 ranks


This five-stop continuo instrument, built by Georg Westenfelder of Luxembourg, was used for many years while the gallery organ was unplayable. The nameplate inside the case does not indicate a date, but it is believed the organ may have been built in the 1960s. There are five unlabled stops, each having two slides to activate the treble and bass ranges of the 53-note manual keyboard that divides at tenor B (B24) and middle C (C25). The manual can be transposed one-half step by sliding the keyboard. The blower is contained in the base of the case.
               
Manual – 53 notes (stops are divided at B24 / C25)
8
  [Gedeckt]
53
    Stopped flute – wood & metal
4
  [Rohrflöte]
53
    Chimney flute – metal  
2
  [Hohlflöte]
53
    Open flute – metal  
1 1/3
  [Quinte]
53
    Open flute – metal  
8
  [Regal]
53
    1/4 length reed – metal  
               
Georg Westenfelder Continuo Organ at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)   Georg Westenfelder Continuo Organ at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)
     
Georg Westenfelder Continuo Organ at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)   Georg Westenfelder Continuo Organ at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church - New York City (credit: Steven E. Lawson)
               
Organ in Lower Church:

Hilborne L. Roosevelt
New York City – Opus 105 (1883)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 19 stops


In 1883, Hilborne L. Roosevelt of New York City built an organ for the Lower Church. This organ was later incorporated into an organ for the Upper Church built c.1931 by the Hall Organ Company. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     "Blaze Destroys Roof of East Side Church," The New York Times (Aug. 19, 1953).
     "Church Cornerstone Laid," The New York Times (May 8, 1905).
     Dunlap, David. From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Organ Fundraising booklet, published by St. Monica's Church, c.1990.
     "St. Monica Church Marks 75th Year," The New York Times (Oct. 25, 1954).
     Shelley, Thomas J. The Bicentennial History of the Archdiocese of New York 1808-2008. Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007.
     Trupiano, Larry. Specifications of Hall organ (c.1931).

Illustrations:
     The American Organist (March? 1931). Hall Organ Company advertisement. Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.
     Lawson, Steven E. Exterior; interior; Timothy Fink & Co. Organ (2008); Georg Westenfelder Continuo.