St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church - Jackson Heights (Queens), NY
Church of St. Joan of Arc
(Roman Catholic)

82-02 35th Avenue at 83rd Street
Richmond Hill (Queens), N.Y. 11372


Organ Specifications:
III/34 Geo. Kilgen & Son, Op. 7479 (1950) – Upper Church
II/6 Geo. Kilgen & Son, Op. 3855 (1920) – Lower Church
• unknown (c.1920) – Lower Church


The Parish of St. Joan of Arc was established in 1920 by Bishop Charles E. McDonnell of Brooklyn, who appointed the Rev. Father Ward G. Meehan to be its rector. Early Masses were held in the Casino, located "in a pleasant grove on the summit of Jackson Heights." At the first Mass, Father Meehan announced that the Queensboro Corporation had donated ground for the church and rectory, and that he had ordered fabricated buildings "from one of those Middle West firms that turn out ready-made any sort of building from a hen coop to a church," at a total cost of $20,000. God willing, he continued, the congregation would be in the new buildings on August 15 of that same year. Ground was broken on Tuesday, July 6, 1920, the very day that the Maid of Orleans (Joan of Arc) was beatified in Rome, and work began on the foundations. Unfortunately, the buildings' components were lost in shipping but were finally located in the railyards in Elmhurst after Father Meehan sent wires "to every point between here and Chicago." The new building was intended to be temporary, and it was expected that a permanent church—modeled after the Gothic cathedral at Nancy, of which St. Joan is the patron saint—would be erected on the same site within five years "at a cost to exceed $250,000."

It was not until 1949 that construction began to complete the Upper Church of the present building, a brick structure with limestone trimming that is in an Italianate style. The first service in the completed church was celebrated with a solemn high midnight mass on Christmas Eve, 1950.
         
Geo. Kilgen & Son
St. Louis, Mo. – Opus 7479 (1950)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 44 stops, 34 ranks


The organ in the Upper Church was built by Kilgen & Son of St. Louis and installed in 1950.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed with Choir
8
  Diapason I
73
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Diapason II
73
    Tremolo  
8
  Hohl Flute
73
    Chimes  
8
  Gemshorn
73
    Great to Great 16'  
4
  Principal
73
    Great Unison Off  
4
  Koppel Flute
73
    Great to Great 4'  
2 2/3
  Twelfth
61
       
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Rohr Bourdon [unit]
85
16
  Fagotto
73
8
  Open Diapason
73
8
  Trompette
73
8
  Rohr Flute
8
  Oboe
73
8
  Viole d'Gamba
73
8
  Vox Humana
73
8
  Viole Celeste [TC]
61
4
  Clarion
73
4
  Octave Geigen
73
    Tremolo  
4
  Flute Triangulaire
73
    Swell to Swell 16'  
2
  Flautino
61
   
Swell Unison Off
    Plein Jeu IV ranks
244
    Swell to Swell 4'  
               
Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Geigen Diapason
73
8
  Clarinet
73
8
  Concert Flute
73
    Tremolo  
8
  Dulciana
73
    Harp  
8
  Unda Maris [TC]
61
    Choir to Choir 16'  
4
  Zart Floete
73
    Choir Unison Off  
2 2/3
  Nasard
61
    Choir to Choir 4'  
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
32
  Sub Bourdon [unit]
68
4
  Block Floete
16
  Major Bass
32
2
  Doublette
16
  Bourdon
    Plein Jeu IV ranks
SW
16
  Rohr Bourdon
SW
16
  Trombone [ext. SW Tromp.]
12
8
  Octave [unit]
56
16
  Fagotto
SW
8
  Bass Flute
8
  Trompette
SW
8
  Rohr Floete
SW
4
  Clarion
SW
4
  Super Octave
       
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Choir to Great 16', 8', 4'
    Choir to Pedal 8'   Swell to Choir 16', 8', 4'
         
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Choir Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6 (thumb & toe)
General Pistons 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 (thumb & toe)
  General Cancel
  Divisional Cancels are Division name plaques
         
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Pedal – Great & Choir   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Balanced Pedal – Swell   Sforzando
    Crescendo Pedal    
         
Geo. Kilgen & Son
St. Louis, Mo. – Opus 3855 (1920); moved and rev. (1970)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 20 stops, 6 ranks


This organ was built in 1920 for the lower church of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Long Island City. In 1970, the organ was moved to the lower church of St. Joan of Arc, at which time the organ was revised with the addition of two stops in the Swell: the Nazard and Mixture. The entire organ is enclosed in one swell box, excepting the bottom octave of the 16' Bourdon, which is divided on both sides.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bass Flute [TC]  
4
  Octave  
8
  Open Diapason  
4
  Flute  
8
  Stopped Flute  
4
  Dulcet  
8
  Dulciana  
2
  Flautina  
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Bourdon [TC]  
2 2/3
  Nazard (added 1970)  
8
  Open Diapason  
2
  Flageolet  
8
  Stopped Diapason       Mixture III ranks (added 1970)
8
  Dolce       General Tremolo  
4
  Flute d'Amour          
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Bourdon  
8
  Flute  
8
  Open Diapason  
8
  Dolce  
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great Pistons 1-2 affecting Great and Pedal stops (thumb)
Swell Pistons 1-2 affecting Swell and Pedal stops (thumb)
         
Pedal Movements
    Balanced Swell Pedal    
    Crescendo Pedal    
         
Stop Analysis
     
Pipes
16
  Gedeckt
97
8
  Diapason
73
8
  Dulciana
73
  Mixture III ranks (1970)
  183
   
Total
246
           
Sources:
     "Church of St. Joan of Arc," The New York Times (July 11, 1920).
     Kloda, Barry. Specifications of Geo. Kilgen & Son Organ, Op. 3855 (1920); rev. (1970).
     Kloda, Barry. Specifications of Geo. Kilgen & Son Organ, Op. 7479 (1950).
     "Priest Rejoices; Finds Lost Church," The New York Times (Aug. 23, 1920).
     "Queens Church Has First Service," The New York Times (Dec. 25, 1950).
     Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn web site: http://www.dioceseofbrooklyn.org/

Illustration:
     Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn web site. Exterior.