All Saints' Episcopal Church (Mariner's Harbor) - Stapleton, Staten Island, NY
 
Click on images to enlarge
All Saints' Episcopal Church

2329 Victory Boulevard
Mariners' Harbor, Staten Island, N.Y. 10314
http://www.allsaintsstatenisland.org/

Organ Specifications:
2329 Victory Boulevard at Wooley Avenue (since 1965):
• Unknown electronic
Richmond Terrace opp. Van Name Av. (1910-burned 1958):
I/6 George Jardine & Son (1869)



All Saints' Episcopal Church (Mariner's Harbor) - Stapleton, Staten Island, NY  
Original Church (1910-1958)
 
 All Saints’ Episcopal Church began as a mission Sunday School of Church of the Ascension. It was founded the evening of All Saints’ Day 1889 by Mrs. Susan DeHart in a private building in Mariners’ Harbor on Shore Road (now Richmond Terrace). The mission was moved to Franklin Hall, at the corner of Harbor Road on December 1, 1891, and again later to Central Avenue (now DeHart Avenue).

When the Rev. William Mix became rector in October 1909, the parish burdened with debt. At this time the Seamen’s Church Institute of New York had vacated its floating chapel on the East River known as the Church of our Savior. It was offered to the church and a suitable location was secured for it in the Kill Van Kull in Mariners' Harbor opposite Van Name Avenue. The floating chapel and its organ were moved just after Christmas in 1910.

For nearly four years the chapel served the congregation at the waterfront before it was moved to a land site at Richmond Terrace opposite Van Name Avenue. A foundation was built and on July 31, 1914, the chapel was freed from its mooring and moved to the new location. The church was used at once for services although the cornerstone was not laid until the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Parish, on November 1, 1914 (All Saints' Day).

On December 26, 1958, a devastating fire almost completely destroyed the building. Unfortunately, the insurance did not cover the loss, so the children and young people of the parish set up a booth at the New York ferry terminal and collected $6,500.00 toward building a new church. For the next several years the congregation worshipped in Graniteville Methodist Church and at Sailors' Snug Harbor chapel. The old property was sold to the V.F.W. Post who demolished the church and built a clubhouse on the site. Land for a new church was purchased by the Diocese on the corner of Victory Boulevard and Woolley Avenue. On All Saints’ Day, 1964, the cornerstone of the new church was laid, and the first service was held on February 22, 1965. The completed church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Horace W.B. Donegan on May 9, 1965.  A parish hall and community center was added to the church building in 1983.
       
Unknown Electronic

Information about the organ in the present church has not yet been located.
     
  Floating Church of the Holy Comforter (Seamen's Church Institute) - New York City (photo: Episcopal Diocese of New York)
  Organ in floating Church of Our Savior
George Jardine & Son
New York City (1869)
Mechanical action
1 manual, 6 stops, 6 ranks



This organ was built in 1869 by George Jardine & Son for the Floating Church of Our Savior, moored in the East River off Manhattan, and was moved with the building to Mariners Harbor in 1910. Surprisingly, the devastating fire of 1958 destroyed the organ's case but the remainder of the instrument survived. The organ was acquired by Ralph A. Clauson, an organbuilder in Staten Island, who restored the instrument. At some point, the organ was moved to an unknown location in California.

The compasses and pipecounts below are suggested, based on similar Jardine organs from 1869..
               
Manual – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason [TC]
46
4
  Principal Bass
12
8
  Stopped Diapason Bass
12
4
  Principal Treble [TC]
46
8
  Clarinet Flute [TC]
46
4
  Boehm Flute [TC]
46
8
  Clariana [TC] (Bell Gamba)
46
2
  Fifteenth
58
       

     
Pedal Organ – 25 notes
    permanently coupled to manual      
       
Sources:
     All Saints Episcopal Church web site: http://www.allsaintsstatenisland.org/
     All Saints Episcopal, Staten Island. Record of the George Jardine & Son organ (1869). Organ Historical Society Database. http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=1574
     "Bid Tearful Adieus to Floating Church," The New York Times (Dec. 26, 1910).
     "Church Sold to V.F.W. Post," The New York Times (Aug. 30, 1960).
     Clausen, Ralph. Correspondence to Barbara Owen (Oct. 4, 1960) with description of George Jardine & Son organ (1869). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     Edwards, Mary. History of All Saints Church. http://maryedwardsmusic.tripod.com/ase/asehistory.html
     The Episcopal Diocese of New York Archives; Wayne Kempton, Archivist.
     "Last of Floating Church," The New York Times (Dec. 22, 1910).
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Trupiano, Larry. Electronic correspondence (Jun 11, 2011) regarding compasses and pipecounts of 1-manual Jardine organs from 1869.

Illustrations:
     The Episcopal & Anglican Churches of Staten Island web site: http://www.statenislandchurches.com/allsaints.htm. Exterior.
     The Episcopal Diocese of New York Archives. Exterior of original church.